• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer N-P-K Levels.

Hi, sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but would anyone be able to tell me what N-P-K numbers I should be looking out for throughout the growing cycle in regards to feeding seedlings, young plants to the fruiting stage? I’m about to start some seedings off in the jiffy coir pellets but as they don’t have any nutrients in them comp to seedling compost is there anything they would need in the initial stage? Any help or links to any products you would recommend as the plants go through their stages over the season would be really appreciated!

They won't need anything other than the jiffy pellets at the initial stage and until after they sprout - and probably even through first set of leaves.

Then either transplant out of the peat pellets or with the peat pellets into a soil or other media. If you use potting soil versus something like coir that is without nutrients, the soil should be enough for a while. Be careful of "hot" potting soil/mix when the seedling are still quite young as they're sensitive to fertilizer concentration. Once they've had several days to root in you can start with a diluted/gentle application of something like fish fertilizer (the NPK's will seem wrong, but it works great) or a relatively balanced or tomato fertilizer (7-9-5 or 12-10-5 for example). There isn't any big hurry, though. If they're in coir or other media without nutrients, you'll need to start that diluted/gentle application reasonably soon after transplant as they won't have anything in the mix and you'll need to be more mindful of balanced ratios.

A big question is what you're transplanting them to, i.e., soil with nutrients or something like coir or perhaps even hydro, without. Also, there isn't any need to changed from a balanced NPK from beginning to end.

would anyone be able to tell me what N-P-K numbers I should be looking for throughout the growing cycle
You're in the south of England, right?

in regards to feeding seedlings, young plants to the fruiting stage? I’m about to start some seedings off in the jiffy coir pellets but as they don’t have any nutrients in them comp to seedling compost is there anything they would need in the initial stage? Any help or links to any products you would recommend as the plants go through their stages over the season would be really appreciated!

They won't need anything other than the jiffy pellets at the initial stage and until after they sprout - and probably even through first set of leaves.

Then either transplant out of the peat pellets or with the peat pellets into a soil or other media. If you use potting soil versus something like coir that is without nutrients, the soil should be enough for a while. Be careful of "hot" potting soil/mix when the seedling are still quite young as they're sensitive to fertilizer concentration. Once they've had several days to root in you can start with a diluted/gentle application of something like fish fertilizer (the NPK's will seem wrong, but it works great) or a relatively balanced or tomato fertilizer (7-9-5 or 12-10-5 for example). There isn't any big hurry, though. If they're in coir or other media without nutrients, you'll need to start that diluted/gentle application reasonably soon after transplant as they won't have anything in the mix and you'll need to be more mindful of balanced ratios.

A big question is what you're transplanting them to, i.e., soil with nutrients or something like coir or perhaps even hydro, without. Also, there isn't any need to changed from a balanced NPK from beginning to end.
Thanks for the reply! Last year I planted them in “John Innes No1 young plant compost“ when I first transplanted them into their 6cm pots then they went into “John Innes potting on compost” when they went into their 9cm pots. Once their roots were filling up most of the pots and then were finally planted in 7l pots filled with “John Innes mature plant compost”. They all had vermiculite in the mix to aid drainage and had liquid seaweed supplement every week. The plants looked healthy through the season, a couple got some sun scorch but recovered really quickly. I did have some issues with a few of the plants towards the end of the season with yellowing leaves and leaf drop, which confused me as some of the other plants grown in the same way had lush green leaves and Lots of flowers / fruits.This will be the second season growing from seeds and just trying to figure out what went wrong with some of the plants to try and not have the same problem this year, so any help is appreciate!

Don't get carried away with NPK numbers. It's the least important thing in your grow (unless, of course, you get something completely lopsided). Keep it simple, and stick with a balanced fertilizer. Work on optimizing your growing environment, and let the rest be as easy as it is.

Back