• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Naga and 7 Pod Primo harder to germinate?

I started some Red Bhuts, White Bhuts, Naga Morich, Monster Nagas, 7 Pod Primos and & 7 Pod Brain Strain yellow. I did half in starter plugs similar to rapid rooter ( forget their name) and the other half in jiffy pellets (12 per variety), until I ran out of plugs. The Red and White Bhuts got 3 plugs and 9 Jiffy pellets. I put 2 seeds per plug and 3 per jiffy. The Jiffys sprouted sooner and seem to be doing better, it may be because the sprouted first and have more grow time. The Red Bhuts, Monster Nagas and 7 Pod Brains did the best. 12 Red Bhuts, 12 Monster Nagas and 11 7 Pods The Naga Morich 4 of 12 plugs/jiffy sprouted and 5 of 12 Primos. Are they harder to germinate? Or possibly bad batch? I didn't do anything different,same everything. The Primos smelled sour, possibly the Naga Morich as well. I remember the Primos had a clump of seeds stuck together, like a small piece of the placenta was holding them together. Just curious on your thoughts. Whats left Im trashing and starting my next batch ....Fatalli (yellow), Choc. Habanero, Rocoto Red, Rocotillo maybe some Serranos. Wish I had started earlier, oh well. Just curious on your thoughts about the Nagas and Primos. Thanks

I didn't figure they were, first year trying them, with only 4-5 seeds out of 24 sprouting and the way the rest of the others sprouted, I just thought I'd ask. Have more plants than I need so It's all good.

There are white bhut jolokias?????
pepperlover has them

Yeah... I agree with pepperproblem... If you had decent germination rates with other peppers in the same conditions, then it is almost certainly an issue with the quality of the seeds. However, before you throw out the soil you sowed the seeds in, let the soil dry out completely and monitor it for late comers. I planted 60 varieties of peppers this yeari (ncluding nagas and 7PPrimo)... and a handful of the varieties would not germinate until I basically gave up on them (neglected) and let the soil go bone dry... to my amazement a pretty decent flush of pepper plants rose from the seemingly "deathly dry" conditions. Still, some of the varieties either never germinated or had low rates. I am going to contact all of the seed vendors for which a given variety did not germinate and request a replacement pack or my money back... you should do the same.

Back