• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Naga Jolokia?

I bought a small package of hot peppers at a grocery store here in Spain to make a mango-hab sauce, and I think most of them are just normal red habaneros. But they included two of these other pods. Are these Naga Jolokias? They don't match the pictures I found online, but they don't match the names of any of the other pepper varieties that are listed as possible included peppers with the back pack.

PXL_20221016_130041992.jpg
PXL_20221016_130450103.jpg

Last edited:
Naga Jolokia is also Bhut. Those look a lot like unripe Ghost peppers to me, I would say yes.

That's a pretty crazy mix!
In the end, all the packages had the same--a pile of red habs and a pair of these peppers. I tried a bit and it tasted a bit more vegetal and no spicier than the habanero. The skin was pretty thin, and I think "unripe" makes good sense.

When I tried a green ghost a few years ago, I was surprised at how mild it was. Fully ripe red was another thing entirely. I don't know what anyone else may have experienced but from mine, it seems they don't really produce much capsaicin until they start ripening. No idea how that works...

When I tried a green ghost a few years ago, I was surprised at how mild it was. Fully ripe red was another thing entirely. I don't know what anyone else may have experienced but from mine, it seems they don't really produce much capsaicin until they start ripening. No idea how that works...
Glad to know that was someone else's experience too!

In the end, the sauce came out really good. Hot and sweet and perfect for a cheeseburger.

Back