• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Naga Morich Salmon

Has anyone out there ever come across the Naga Morich Salmon? 

I ran across this variety last year at my local nursery here in Italy, but have not been able to find much information other than on the website of the supplier - www.ortomio.it  …If anybody has any information to share about this variety it would be much appreciated, I've been wondering if the grower just threw the name together to try and capitalize on "Naga-mania", or if this pepper is actually derived from the Naga Morich. 

Here are a few shots of peppers growing on the plant last summer -

de278f3756.jpg

de2d478631.jpg

de30c3037d.jpg

Here you can see the salmon color starting to develop as the pepper ripened - 

de37bde87c.jpg

Here's a shot of how a couple peppers look after coming out of the freezer. The colors aren't quite true, though you can see the Salmon color pretty well, and the purple blush that stayed on some of them. Bottle cap for scale - 

de3add638c.jpg

The peppers look very similar to the Peach Wasp, but shorter. 

And finally, the label that came with the plant when purchased. Notice the front side of the card says Naga Salmon while the back says Naga Morich Salmon. 

de4575c20b.jpg

de484078c1.jpg

Thanks! 

Datil said:

+1000

Datil

Hi Datil, 
 I noticed you're also here in Italy, did you happen to see these plants around anywhere last year? 
The ones I saw were from OrtoMio and were being sold at various Viridea shops here in Lombardia.

Thanks! 

Dalia222 said:

Hi Datil, 
 I noticed you're also here in Italy, did you happen to see these plants around anywhere last year? 
The ones I saw were from OrtoMio and were being sold at various Viridea shops here in Lombardia.

Thanks! 

Hi Dalia,

yes Ortomio is sadly monopolizing the market, not only pepper-wise (i live also in Lombardia).
Last year i've bought very late in the season a discounted Bhut Jolokia plant from them (it was already bearing fruits) just because it was true to form and i found it quite enjoyable. Apart from that i much prefer starting my own seeds, it's cheaper and i can better select the sources...
Regarding the Naga Salmon is clearly a funky name, true Naga looks more like this:

very old pic but you get the idea :)

Good luck for your pepper season

Fabrizio

Datil said:

Hi Dalia,

yes Ortomio is sadly monopolizing the market, not only pepper-wise (i live also in Lombardia).
Last year i've bought very late in the season a discounted Bhut Jolokia plant from them (it was already bearing fruits) just because it was true to form and i found it quite enjoyable. Apart from that i much prefer starting my own seeds, it's cheaper and i can better select the sources...
Regarding the Naga Salmon is clearly a funky name, true Naga looks more like this:

very old pic but you get the idea :)

Good luck for your pepper season

Fabrizio

I agree with you about starting one's own seeds, it's much more rewarding.
The Naga Salmon plant caught my eye last year for the name, but as it started to put out fruit it seemed less and less like it was really related to the true Naga Morich at all, and the heat was nowhere near as intense either..
Too bad OrtoMio isn't more responsible in this department. It makes me curious as to what the plant actually was, or if it was something they developed.
It was a very attractive plant however, and I used it for some crosses, so will be interested to see what comes of them this season. 

Anyway, good luck with your growing season as well, and thanks again!!  :cheers:

MarcV said:
It may not be a real naga but it sure looks like an interesting vatiety! :)

Yes definitely, even if its not a Naga I'd love to hear more about it if anyone out there recognizes it!

The ripe fruits looked similar to the Peach Wasp with that "scrunched" appearance, but much shorter. Many of them also had a purplish blush to them too. 

Back