• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Naga or Bhut

I know several of you grow Naga's. I have never grown them, but would
like to try some red one's next year depending on what responses I get here.
Now I like the red ghost pepper, how would you compare it to the ghost taste
wise?

Too me Linda there is very little difference in taste. Maybe try a chocolate naga. I think I have some seeds I could send you if you are interested. I still owe you anyway :fireball:

I agree with Jamie. The taste to me is very similar. I will say that my Naga Moriches I'm growing are slightly sweeter than my Bhuts. But the difference is pretty much negligible. Heat wise, I think the Naga Moriches I've grown this year have been quite a bit hotter than the Bhuts. This last wave of pods I've been picking have been like hot coals on the back of my throat. They really pack a punch.

I prefer my naga morich pod to my bhuts. And the Plant seems to be much more prolific!

I agree completely. The Naga Morich is VERY prolific. Between my 2 (well now 3 as I see it - Was growing what I thought was Yellow Fatalii which is putting out pods exactly the same as my two confirmed Naga Moriches), I've gotten over 200 pods thus far picked. Each of the three still has over 50 pods sitting on them. So yeah, you will get a TON of pods off of the Naga Moriches.

The Bhut plant I have has been very lackluster all year. Although it is starting to pump out pods now. Still not like the Naga Morich.

imo dorset naga is the best tasting of the naga family... it tastes like a yellow 7

See, I get no difference between the Naga Morich and the Dorset Naga. It is, after all, just a Naga Morich that was selectively bred. I've eaten both and can tell no difference in heat or flavor.

i was lucky enough this year to be able to taste: bombay morich, assam bhut(indian carbon) and the dorset naga.

while the morich & assam had similar heat and very similar taste, the dorset naga had the best flavour and more heat. now, the morich & assam were the first peppers off the plants and were quite small, as more larger pods start to ripen on the plants perhaps that will give me a better comparison. i did my taste tests all within a half hour so i could remember the flavours. all seeds came from pepperlover.

good luck.

I have never tried Naga Morich. But this year I have a big plant and some of my Naga's begin to ripen :P

f336da99.jpg

Thanks for the responses. I think I will try some naga's next year and Bhut's to see which I like better, if
I can tell the difference.

Too me Linda there is very little difference in taste. Maybe try a chocolate naga. I think I have some seeds I could send you if you are interested. I still owe you anyway :fireball:

Thanks Jamie, I will take you up on your offer. Would you happen to have Dorset Naga?

I have them all Linda. I will Pm you and get your seeds ready this weekend. I may still have your addy.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will try some naga's next year and Bhut's to see which I like better, if
I can tell the difference.

Also, keep in mind that there are a number of different varieties that go by the name Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich... just keep trying things until you get lucky with one and grow that seed. I have about 6 or so different Bhuts and Naga Morichs going and they vary considerably.

Back