• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Naga Virgin No More!

Well, I am finally part of the brother(and sister)hood of Naga eaters!

Since I spread the word earlier this week, a small crowd of people at gathered in the staff room at work today (it was around 20 of us) to watch some of us eat some of the pods that I have been growing at work this season.

On offer:

-One Orange Habanero pod
-One Naga X (Since I have no idea why the pod initially grew upright) pod.

I went through a bit of pomp and circumstance about it, since I was trying to psyche out a co-worker who really wanted to try the Naga. I actually wasn't planning on doing the Naga today, since I was a bit worried about giving slivers of them to co-workers and suddenly incapacitating half the staff.

Worried about this I brought with me a litre of Whole Milk and a Litre of Yop!(Yoghurt drink), just in case.

I put in my gloves, cut up the Orange Habanero into slices and gave one slice each to the four 'trialists' (myself included). It was quite good. No one ran for dear life. I didn't even need to go for any liquid refreshment.

Orange Hab taste was good. Citrus-like and very fresh and crisp. The heat was good. Not terrible. It also didn't start to burn initially, but a good five-ten seconds after chewing.

The rest of the 'testers' were ok with them as well. Drank some Yop and a spot of milk, but nothing serious.

After that, several more people 'in the audience' asked for slivers, and I gave out about four more. It was fun.

The co-worker I was trying to psyche out looked at me and said:

'Is that all you've got?'

Then it got interesting...:hell:

I cut a chunk about 3/4inch thick of the Naga, which I'd dubbed 'The Devil's Haemorroids' when I politely introduced it to the crowd (these pods are around 2 1/2inches long), and passed it along to 'J'.

I also took a very small sliver, as did one of the ladies, 'R', (an Israeli lady), and two other guys, 'C', and 'JA'.

'R' did not react at all...:shocked: (It must be that women have the pain of childbirth, which is not comparable to anything else in life, therefore chillies are just a momentary inconvenience).

'C' was noticeably uncomfortable, but ate his bit, though then proceeded to raid the milk and yoghurt.

'JA' was really uncomfortable, and ran for the waterfountain. We intercepted him and told him to drink some milk instead. And he's from the land of the Naga, so when I said 'Ghost Chilli', his face lit up as if to say 'You brought that here?!'

Me? I had the sliver in my mouth for about a minute and a half, chewing, but not daring to swallow...

...and I didn't :oops: I have to admit, it was just far too much for me. My mouth and throat felt as though I'd been given turpentine and someone had lit it as I drank... All the while I was thinking to myself 'Hmmm...AAAAAAAAARGH!!!! I can really taste some peachy undertones in this AAAAAAAAAYIIIIIEEEEE!!!!! pepper. It is much sweeter than YYYYYYYAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHHH!!!! the Orange Hab. If it wasn't for the SWEET CHRISTMAS I CAN'T FEEL MY EYES!!! heat, I'd say this was quite the fragrant pod.' I have to admit, though, it was a really good tasting piece of hellfire!

'J' on the other hand....

Well, I'll let the video do the talking about that one. I accidentally told 'C' the wrong way to film it, so instead of one cohesive video, there are 12 fragments, so I'll be going home tonight to hopefully piece them together into one incoherent piece of fun.

Almost everyone at the gathering wasn't a chilehead (I guess I'm the only one that qualifies by virtue of being the grower), but there were quite a few people who would definitely give it a try next time, and I've been asked by people 'When are you having the next one of these?'

Next up: White Habaneros and Chocolate Habaneros...:onfire:

Update: everyone is now reporting 'burning tummies'. I have told them all 'it hurts on the way in...and it hurts on the way out.'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*
:(

imaguitargod said:
Sorry to inform you you are still a virgin. You have to swallow the pepper, not just chew it.

Great story though.

Yup... I'd say you got to 3rd base.

Can't wait to see the video!

Only the real hardcore chiliheads can knock you man, I'll give you credit for going somewhere very few have tread before. Strong showing.

MrArboc said:
Nah, 2nd base. 3rd is swallowing and the homerun is surviving the Nagas exit:lol:

:lol:

At least no-one reached for the fire extinguisher, thanks for the tip on the Hab crisps at Delifonseca btw they were ace.

Well, I'm definitely up for another try. Will remember to eat something more than a snickers bar before chomping down, though.

While I try to get the video sorted out, here's a pic of the Naga. Ain't it a beaut?:

NagaLo-res.jpg

(grumble)...:mad:

'J' has asked me not to put the video up until he has a think about it.

He's seen the video and isn't too pleased about it...:banghead:

Trying to convince him otherwise to let me put an edited version of the video, without his 'running around being followed by the camera into the Mens whilst drooling like a St. Bernard looking for a biscuit'(Hmm...come to think of it, can't really blame him for not wanting that side of him made public...)

ARGH! Next time around I'm having people participating sign disclaimers...

AlabamaJack said:
Heck Aji, if you just chewed a little piece and spit it out, that was a bunt...not even a sacrifice... ;)

That's not even a bunt! That was a called strike check swing (by the 1st base ump) with 2 strikes with 2 outs! Inning over! Don't spit it out next time!

Respectfully Aji Chombo and esteemed members of THP. These guys here are not sane........they use Tabasco for mouthwash after a long night with a whiskey bottle. I have some Bhuts growing and I must admit I am afraid.........very afraid of eating a whole Bhut with seeds and placenta.

Tobasco sauce isn't fit for mouthwash.

By the time you've added enough of it to even get a little heat all you taste is mostly vinegar. :lol:

I think most people who grow hot chillies are a little nuts anyways...but there's nothing wrong with that.:onfire:

I spoke to a friend of mine last night who was in a very drunken 'Who can drink the most Dragon's Blood hot sauce' and won (or lost, depending on how you score it):P, and he's really exited about the Nagas I've got. I have a feeling we'll be having some good Naga-tastic food this weekend.

I am still a little nervous about the prospect of trying the other super hots, but part of it is also realizing there is actually cracking flavour under all the fire!:)

The Orange Hab and the Naga were completely different tastes! I was expecting the searing heat of the Naga to completely overwhelm the taste, but it was still very much there all throughout.

The Naga was very pleasant, and fruity.

There were five of us arguing about whether or not it had notes of apricot or fresh green tomatos, while the rest of us called us insane.

One of the guys that attended the tasting and had an Orange Hab slice sent me a message asking me how to get rid of the spiciness in his hands, since he kept scratching his eyes in front of the computer screen, then feeling the burn...:lol:

My avatar is made of two orange habs, 1 PC-1, and several white hab bullets. I have eaten all whole with no video to prove it, still I am nervous about the Bhut Jolokia (Spirit of a condemned man.. roughly translated...dead man walking)......

Back