• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Nagalah Super cross

I'm very excited with these peppers. I saved seeds from last seasons red nagalah plant primarily because of productivity. It was grown closest to Yellow 7's, Brainstrains, and jolokia. This seasons plants are producing these big heavy blistering gnarly pods some with stiger tails. I'm going to save seeds and isolate the plants next season to see what I get. I'm also going to dig out the plant in hopes of overwintering the mother. 

I debuted the pepper at a family pizza party on the weekend and I took out a few family members with a sample tasting. (tiny slivers for the untrained)

It set a bunch of pods early in the season low in the canopy, probably 12-15 which I believe slowed the overall growth for a spell. The plant was plenty strong to support the 1st flush of pods (not like the Charlie Brown look with the spindly stem leaning over with a full size pod on it) Now that the first batch is ripening, I've noticed a lot more growth and flowering so I'm hoping to get a large crop in September.

I'm thinking the Brain as well.  But it did had a 7pot as a next door neighbor as well as the Brain. I haven't gotten past the blistering heat to ascertain the flavor yet.

My favorite so far for seed saving!

early pod set

Just another note- Pruned / Topped/ FIMing this plant and most others. It totally makes a huge difference IMHO

mpicante said:
Great looking pods.Was wondering what % of pods plant produced that looks like your favorite?
I'l have to see if I can come up with a % for you. That particular plant surprisingly has  several with similar overall size and shape. But  only a couples pod have that good symmetrical shape. The plant lives off site in my community garden plot which I've only been getting up there 1x weekly. I'll give an update if it seems worthwhile. Again, this plant wasn't isolated so who knows what next season's pods will be like but I'll be glad to share some seeds if anyone wants some.

Valleyman said:
I'l have to see if I can come up with a % for you. That particular plant surprisingly has  several with similar overall size and shape. But  only a couples pod have that good symmetrical shape. The plant lives off site in my community garden plot which I've only been getting up there 1x weekly. I'll give an update if it seems worthwhile. Again, this plant wasn't isolated so who knows what next season's pods will be like but I'll be glad to share some seeds if anyone wants some.

I'd love to see what they grow out like :D

Valleyman said:
Nice!definitely interested

Back