• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe Nagaland inspired Pork belly Recipe

Hi Guy's

I normally make Indian style curries Goen pork Vindaloo, Warli Mutton, King Prawn tikka masala, Bengali home style beef, Northern indian Chicken korma you know traditional Indian style onions fried till brown, tomatoes sometimes yogurt, lots of fresh ground toasted spices etc.

However recently I've been looking for recipes to use my 2022 frozen Dorset and Bengle Naga's .........:think: this intern lead me to Nagaland recipes...... Wow ! These guys eat anything walks, crawls, slithers, flys, hops as a hunter by nature I feel a kinship with Nagaland people but even I would draw a line at some of the stuff they eat 😲đŸ¤ĸđŸ¤Ŗ

I've become obsessed with this recipe that I developed using traditional Naga videos from you tube

Lots if Pork belly skin,fat,meat, 2lb
3 tomatoes
Two tins of Bamboo shoots
1.5 tsp salt
1 tbsp szechuan corns (toasted)
1 tbsp of Kashmiri chilli powder
1" of fresh ginger
Head of garlic
1-3 Naga chillies ground to paste with the salt

1. Fry pork belly in dry pan 5 mins
2. Add splash of water cover 20 mins
3.Add Naga paste/salt
4.cook 20 mins
5. Add diced tomatoes low heat 15 mins
6. Add garlic/ ginger paste + szechuan pepper 5 mins
7. Add Kashmiri chilli powder
8.Add Bamhoo shoots simmer uncovered...........10 -20 mins to reduce

Serve with rice .........

Honestly I'm addicted to this recipe 😋

Let me know if you try this recipe the flavours are fantastic lots of garlic and the szechuan pepper 😋I've a 2 year old szechuan pepper tree in my garden but it hasn't fruited yet ☚ī¸hopefully this year :dance:

Stephen

Last edited:
Hi Guy's

I'm still addicted to this recipe :thumbsup: 😁 😋 it's blooming delicious ! Very different from traditional Indian onion based curries.

I made it last night with two dried carolina reaper pods, I ordered online, i ordered carolina reaper and Trinidad moruga scorpion pod's to compare flavours ........

Two Carolina reaper too hot for me đŸ¤Ŗ đŸ¤¯ I picked out and eat the pork and bamboo shoots with my chop sticks but the gravy was way too hot ike liquid lavađŸĨĩ

Same when I made it with two fresh Fatallii gourmet jigsaw pods i grew .......although I think prefer the jigsaw flavour over the Reaper....how does drying effect the flavour of peppers ? ( carolina reaper (fresh/frozen/dried) I normally freeze my pod's

Tonight I've made it again but this time with one dried Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 🤞

Stephen

Last edited:
Hi Guy's

Made it again tonight with a single dried Trinidad Moruga Scorpion 😋 much better heat level and the flavour was excellent I prefer it to the x2 Carolina Reaper version.i will make it again with a single Carolina reaper to compre but initial thought's would suggest i prefer the Trinidad moruga scorpion over the Reaper

Stephen

Last edited:
Funny you say that.........right now I have another pot on the stove cooking ! 😁 told you i was addicted to this recipe.

However tonight's has a single Carolina reaper instead of two as I want to compare the flavours on an equal footing.

I will take a pic tonight just a big bowl full, no rice ......Maybe a popadom or two 😋

As promised.................

20240408_171105.jpg

20240408_171123.jpg

Made with one Carolina reaper............still think prefer the one I made with Trinidad moruga scorpion 😋

Back