National Trademarks

325...I have "AlabamaJacks Exotic Superhots" trademarked...good for 10 years and the difference between trademarks and patents is after the 10 years, the person that gets the first trademark has first rights to the name for another 10 as opposed to patents that become fair game to anyone after 10 years...

Patents are only good for 10 yrs? I thought it was more like 30 yrs..

Also, wouldn't a trademark be a name, and a patent a process or invention? (ie Prozac vs. the recipe for making Prozac)

ring sting said:
Patents are only good for 10 yrs? I thought it was more like 30 yrs..

Also, wouldn't a trademark be a name, and a patent a process or invention? (ie Prozac vs. the recipe for making Prozac)

correct you are...when I was talking about the difference, I was talking about the time frame it was good for...sorry I wasn't clear...and I just checked, patents are good for 1 to 20 years depending on what kind of patent it is...

http://www.business-analysis-made-easy.com/How-Long-Is-A-Patent-Good-For.html

Trademarks are only good in the country you are apply for. If you have a US Trademark, it doesn't stop somebody in Canada from registering the same. For full coverage you should register in all countries you wish to sell your product or service.

Which probably won't be a problem for you, but for us Canadians we pretty much have to register in Canada and the US.

Back