• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Need Help (Drying Peppers)

I was wondering if its ok and possible to just dry out peppers by just cutting them in 1/2 and leaving them out since i dont have a dehydrator

Yeah, there are plenty of folks who will suggest stringing them up, but I think like Joyner. I am not risking making my loved ones sick. If you can't spring for the dehydrator now, slice the pods in half lengthwise and freeze them until you can buy a dehydrator.
Or use the oven if you just can't wait.

ah ok i'll try a few in the oven see how that turns out and if its not how i want it ill just freeze them like u guys said tyvm i thought id ask b4 i string them up and air dry them

You could buy a inexpensive dehydrator for $20-$30, even a cheap one will work wonders. Probably less expensive than running the oven in the long run.

yea i havent checked the price on them ill prolly just go buy one i just seen lots of people who just cut them and hang'em up

KingChile said:
yea i havent checked the price on them ill prolly just go buy one i just seen lots of people who just cut them and hang'em up

I make enough killer habanero beef jerky and pepper powders that I definitely got my $40 worth so far. I tried not to buy one because I read online reviews that had me believing that I needed to buy an expensive model. They were wrong. My cheapo model does the job plenty good enough for my family.

Back