• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Need help identifying this pepper

I'm new to this forum but also hoping there are some knowledgeable people to help my solve a mystery. I have eaten a small red pepper for years but I am not sure what type it is. You typically find these plants sold at flea markets, usually by older latino gentleman, and my Dad claims it's some type of Thai pepper. This sounds generic and I'm sure someone on the internets knows exactly the pepper I'm eating. The heat is good, not over whelming, and I love eating the pepper raw with just about all my meals (except breakfast of course).  I got the plant last year from a person I deliver to at a dentist office. She also gave me a vague response when I asked her for the name of the pepper. I'm not sure why I can't get a straight answer from anybody. My father has been a landscaper for 40+ years and he can't give me a straight answer. What gives?!?!?!? Please help me!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5729.JPG
    IMG_5729.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5728.JPG
    IMG_5728.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5730.JPG
    IMG_5730.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 112
They appear to be C. pubescens based on the hairiness.
Can you also post a picture of the flowers, if you have one?

Looks like it has been overwintered, how long have you had it?

I've had the plant for about 1 1/2 years. I know it's dark. Let me know if you need a pic taken during the daytime. 

Attachments

• IMG_5733.JPG
    IMG_5733.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_5734.JPG
    IMG_5734.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 102
At first I was also thinking Goat's Weed, but the pods shown in the photos seem slightly shorter and less tapered/pointy than I am used to seeing on a Goat's Weed: https://thehippyseedcompany.com/product/goatsweed-chilli/

Then again, I am just eyeballing a picture. Maybe the OP can tell us the actual size of a typical pod on this plant? 

I also noticed that there are many bare calyxes on the plant where the pepper appears to have come off of the calyx. Many "bird pepper" types fall off the calyx very easily when ripe, which also makes me lean more towards Pequin.

All, 

Thanks for your responses. Goat's Weed is a good guess but judging by the pics the pods seem longer than I am accustomed to seeing on my plant. 

@BlackFatalii...pods are typically 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches in length. 

Back