• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Need help with mislabeled plants!

I have three plants which I bought as seedlings and I believe they were mislabeled.  They are supposed to be a Carolina Reaper, Naga Viper, and Trinidad Scorpion (unspecified sub cultivar), but some of them do not look right.  I'm pretty sure that the "Trinadad Scorpion" is in fact correctly labeled, but I wanted some opinions on it and the others. I'm really upset that I cared for these plants all season and not I don't know what I have.

I have pictures of ripe pods and the plants, but I'm having an impossible time figuring out how to upload my photos and I can't even find the technical help page.  I know this isn't the exact right place, but could somebody post the link to the directions on how to load photos?  I'll post them right away so everyone can see them.

Ok, I think I might have figured out the photos.

So here is the one labeled as "Naga Viper:"

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

And this is the "Carolina Reaper", which I know is not a Carolina Reaper.  I think if anything it may be the Naga Viper.

IMG_4703.jpg

This is the Trinidad Scorpion, which I believe was correctly labeled.  I think it looks like the Butch T. variety.  Any opinions?

IMG_4705.jpg

The farmer who I bought these plants from is always disorganized and it could be that the plants I have aren't just mixed up among themselves, but they could be an entirely different variety.  I am particularly suspicious that the "Nage Viper" are none of the above mentioned species.

Backyard_Pepper_Grower said:

This is the Trinidad Scorpion, which I believe was correctly labeled.  I think it looks like the Butch T. variety.  Any opinions?

ra178PKl.jpg

To me, that last one looks more like the red Scorpion strain from CARDI than it does the Butch T.

The others might be mislabeled or they could be accidental crosses. If the farmer is as disorganized as you say, he might not be isolating his plants very well, or at all.

Not counting jalapenos, I had five plants; two Bonnie brand plants from Home Depot that I'm certain of, a red ghost and a "Smokin' Ed's" Carolina Reaper.  Then the other three were from the one's I mentioned in the first post which I bought from that farmer.

I'm still fairly certain that I have a Trinidad Scorpion, although I can't say with enough confidence to name a sub cultivar.

I also still think I may have a Naga Viper too, but I don't think the last one is any of the above.  I'm figuring out how to post pictures, but I still need to resize more pictures of the plants and pods in question.

I've taken some better pictures.

Theses came from a plant labeled as Trinidad Scorpion and I think that was actually correct:

Scorp.jpg

These came from a plant that was labeled Carolina Reaper, but in my opinion there is no way they are Carolina Reapers.  Since they came from the same place as the others and there were seedlings tagged as Naga Viper, my guess is that these are actually the Naga Viper:

Naga.jpg

These came from a plant labeled "Naga Viper" but they do not in any way resemble any of the chilis that I was supposed to be buying.  I Google Imaged green Naga Viper and they shade of green of the unripe pods matches the color in the picture above, not the chilies below.

Unk.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I'll post some pictures of the plants themselves later if that would be any help.  I'd appreciate any opinions!!!

A little more information.... All the pods from the plant which I think is the Naga Viper tend to have smooth shiny skin versus the relative dullness and wrinkles on most of the other super-hots.  I don't know if it's discernible when comparing the pictures because the flash may have been on, but in person the one's I suspect are the Nagas are smoother and waxier.

Demented said:
Is there any company identification on the back of the tags?
Two said BloomIQ, which I think just makes tags, and the other one was totally generic.  I'm almost certain the farmer purchased the seeds separate from the seeds.

ze_test said:

Hello
Sorry i can't help but is probably it's some cross pollination... or something like that

I doubt the farmer saves seeds for chilies.  His stand at the market sells all local produce; they only sell the super hot chilies as seedlings and then only in the spring. 

They could have all started as seedlings he purchased from another nursery. Pictures wont load for me on the wayback machine but it appears BloomIQ did sell those two varieties in years past. Was hoping they'd have similar pictures on their website. If he's replanting them from saved seeds and reusing the tags, I'd put money on them being accidental crosses.

Back