• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Need HELP with something eating my plants

I have something in one of my two 8ft by 4ft raisded beds, eating the crap out of my leaves of my peppers. The other 8ft by 4ft raised bed is fine and it is literally 3 ft from the other one. I will post pics of plants and leaves and hope that someone can and will help. Note: I have sprayed countless times (not back to back, gave some time between sprays) for bugs. Not sure what else to do. Also, added beer trap for slugs and have nothing in traps for about 1 week. Here are the photos:
19cf1460.jpg

One of my pepper pics,
873f79be.jpg

Notice the beer trap next to the plant top left.

466927ea.jpg

I have also added fert occasionally to them and think the leaf curl and bubblyness of the leaves are from that. Not sure if I over did it or not.

a205d4c6.jpg

My poor jamaican red is destroyed!

8ee75e3d.jpg

This crap just makes me nauseous!!!!!

This box is just fine. The other one is getting destroyed!
9b8d600d.jpg

This is the one that is getting destroyed with bugs or something
e26afd4b.jpg

6dcfc527.jpg
Oh I forgot, the ones in 5 gal buckets are just fine too. Can't figure this one out at all.

I'll venture a guess and say leaf cutter bees. I've got similar "cuttings" out of a few of my scotch bonnet plants and saw a few leaf cutter bees on them at various times. Google a product called SNS 209..It's supposed to be really good.

Hey Bama,
I got something similar happened to my plants. Slugs got mine.
I've been going out at night to knock them off. Cut them in half & give 'em a few grain of salt.
Sy

Get some Sluggo and you won't have to hunt them. ;)

Those are not leaf cutting bees as they eat half circles out of the leaves.
I would say slugs, snails and/or Earwigs.

Having similar symptoms on plants here in GA. The damage is sporadic and selective, making it extremely difficult to ID.
Inner leaf circular damage in conjunction with external leaf "chewing", but selective from plant to plant or bed to bed.

Inspection in early am, dusk and dark yields few culprits.... To be continued ( with pictures)..... and hopefully some remedies.

Tomatoes unscathed.. ?

Damnit, if it is slugs, the beer trap doesn't work. Is Slugo safe for plants or do I have to be careful when applying? This is so frustrating!!!

Those bastards come out after the rain and they mainly eat the new shoots.
I will have to get some sluggo. I had limited success with the beer traps.
The plants will recover...hopefully

They did not bother with my tomatoes

I've caught worms in the substrate under plants during the day, flooding the ground can force them to the surface for air.

My friend just said it could be Pill Bugs. Now I don't know what to do!! GRRRRRR!!!!!!! :mad:

.......or Sevin dust, they say that works good too.

You may think that I over do stuff but damn those bugs!!!! KILL THEM ALL!!!!! Using this stuff:

This is what it looks like now. Notice the rings of pellets around the peppers too, lol. To hell with the bugs. Also added a bird feeder for what ever is left.
ad68e6ad.jpg

4bfe6b56.jpg

f7a69aba.jpg
44fd5b0e.jpg

romy, I think I covered it, (maybe). Thanks for the help with all of this. I will keep all informed of the progress so that I may help others too. Death to the bugs!!!

Is this stuff any good at killing them and not tarnishing my veggies?
http://www.lowes.com...uggo&facetInfo=

I would imagine that is the same ingredients as Sluggo which is nothing more than iron phosphate.
Snails and slugs eat it and it stops them from eating and they die within a few days.
If it is only iron phosphate it is safe around pets unlike others like Cory's Slug and Snail Death which uses the poison metaldehyde.

Sevin is nasty stuff and I wouldn't use it except in extreme cases and I don't think yours is that extreme.
It will kill all the beneficial bugs as well.

OMG!!! That is exactly wat is happening to my babies!! Hubby brought home some sevin in a bottle that u hook ur hose to and water the garden :snooty: AND I have sprayed 3 times!! I have looked in the morning, afternoon and last night for ANY sign of wat is doing this!!! I would think a snail or slug would leave a slimy trail etc..but I'm not certain. It's like something flies in, eats watever part it lands on then flies away!!

I am not sold on that bottled sevin, as my dad and papaw have always filled a pair of panty hose with the dust and shook it over the plants :lol: Sooo, I will be getting the 10% Sevin tomorrow from one of our neighbors down the road, since it's hard to find for sum reason...and it will look like a November frost when I'm thru!!!

I do not care if it kills every bug in my county that happens to fly, crawl or slide by......as long as it kills the %$#@ things that are doing this!! And as some above...NOTHING is bothering my maters :clap:

Bamaboy plz update when u can, if wat ur using 'helps' ;)

*Edit, oh yea, all mine are in 3.3 gallon buckets with a tarp laid out on the ground underneath the buckets.

Back