• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need Help with Temperature.....

I need help with some advice regarding growing Jolokias, 7 Pots, and Trinidad Scorpions. I have been trying to get these guys to pop out peppers all summer long, and nothing....not the first one. Then the temperature changed outside just recently, it got a little chillier maybe in the 60's (i live in Memphis, Tn). That was sort of short lived and got back up to the 90's in the last few weeks. Well....my issue is the next week we have highs of 50's and lows of 30's, and it just so happens I have a BUNCH of peppers coming out now. What do I need to do to ensure these guys don't get damaged? should I uproot them from my garden and bring them inside my house? what should I setup? I have huge windows in my sun room and house is a pleasant temp...although I am a novice grower and not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks!

Chris

definitely uproot them and put them in pots, just make sure to put them in large enough pots that you don't destroy the root system, so basically the biggest pots you can accommodate for now. I usually wait until my plant is done producing large amounts of pods, then I pot down to a smaller pot with fresh soil, pruning back the plant and roots for the winter.

Your sun room should be perfect for both finishing the pods and overwintering the plants if you so desire.

sorry I didn't see you lived in Tennessee! If the night time lows are probably going to go back up to 50ish, you could just cover your plants with blankets and put a small space heater near them to keep them warm for the night.

If the night temps are going to be consistently below freezing, then throw them in pots and bring them in the house.

Back