• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Need opinions on these 2 LED lights

Thanks for the reply. The initial use would be for growing until they go outside. Down the road I may try my hand at growing to fruit indoors. I'll take a look at your link.

Of the three, I think that I might lean a little toward the hlg 65 light that Walchit posted. It uses less electricity, but apparently still puts out a good amount of light. I also like that it is white light rather than blurple, if only because that is a little bit easier on the eyes IMO. But honestly I would expect that any of the three would work for you.

If you are thinking about growing peppers to fruit indoors at some point, Peter Stanley saw some pretty impressive growth over just 30 days with the hlg 100, so that one might be well worth considering. But it is more expensive than the hlg 65: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C57J7XX/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=pstanley-20&linkId=653913f4cfe6ffe4d99c5db5cf0c0f99&language=en_US

I got the HLG100 recently and it's a great light, but might be overkill for the application. Mine pulls 119w from the wall and it's an intense light. It will burn foliage at a decent distance, but doesn't put out a ton of heat.  It seems great for growing larger mature plants, but maybe a lot of power for the footprint with smaller ones - ?

I'd probably lean toward the HLG65 too.  If fact, I will probably go with 2 of the HLG65 for the next purchase versus one 100.  I think that would be a great setup, covering a bigger footprint with better angles, and without overpowering a central area. I haven't tried the 65 yet, but based on the 100 I think 2 in a 4x2 tent or area would be perfect.

Also, there's a v2 of these that just came out that's supposed to be a bit more efficient.

Always tough for me to pull the trigger when buying lights, because you're pretty much stuck with your choice if you change your mind after.

Good luck!

Valid points sinensis, especially if you're only starting plants to put out after 10+/- weeks versus growing taller plants to fruit.  You can do the job perfectly well with any number of different or "lesser" lights.  My go-to starter lights are 4' T5HO fixtures, and I'll often remove 1 or 2 center tubes on the 4 or 6 bulb systems because even that intensity of light isn't always necessary and it reduces the heat build up.

I feel like I'm getting the best results out of this T8 4 bulb. It was 30 bucks at home depot, but I put eyebolts and hangers on it, and had to buy a case of 6500k bulbs which was like 30 bucks too I think. But it should last a really long time, and the plants seem to really do well under it. I have it covering a 3x5 area. It's supposed to be 32 watts per bulb, but my kill-a-watt says its only pulling 107-108 watts. So really its my most efficient light.

The Wal-Mart shop lights are working, but they seem closer to maybe 5000k on the spectrum, and the area they are in stays about 10 degrees colder, so that could be why they don't seem to be taking off.

I guess one thing I forgot to ask is what size area are you trying to cover? And maybe how many plants your trying to cram under there lol

CaneDog said:
Valid points sinensis, especially if you're only starting plants to put out after 10+/- weeks versus growing taller plants to fruit.  You can do the job perfectly well with any number of different or "lesser" lights.  My go-to starter lights are 4' T5HO fixtures, and I'll often remove 1 or 2 center tubes on the 4 or 6 bulb systems because even that intensity of light isn't always necessary and it reduces the heat build up.
Exactly my application.  I only use the lights for starts until the WX cooperates enough to get them outside.  T5 HOs are good enough for me.  I use 2 and 4 bulb 4' fixtures.  

Walchit said:
I feel like I'm getting the best results out of this T8 4 bulb. It was 30 bucks at home depot, but I put eyebolts and hangers on it, and had to buy a case of 6500k bulbs which was like 30 bucks too I think. But it should last a really long time, and the plants seem to really do well under it. I have it covering a 3x5 area. It's supposed to be 32 watts per bulb, but my kill-a-watt says its only pulling 107-108 watts. So really its my most efficient light.

The Wal-Mart shop lights are working, but they seem closer to maybe 5000k on the spectrum, and the area they are in stays about 10 degrees colder, so that could be why they don't seem to be taking off.

I guess one thing I forgot to ask is what size area are you trying to cover? And maybe how many plants your trying to cram under there lol

Glad you mentioned that again.  I was looking pretty closely at what you did and the efficiency of those for starters looked great.  Hard to beat a 4' tube when you're trying to efficiently cover a big footprint for small plants.

There are guys here that use those purple lights too, with good results. I just don't really have experience with them.

I think pot size really limits your plants more than light. I don't think the light requirements of pepper seedlings are very high.

I dont see much stretching even with the bulbs 12-18 inches above the plants.

Was hoping some purple light guys would come in and give an opinion on the lights op posted.

Walchit said:
Are you just trying to grow until you move the plants outside?

Either way have you seen the new quantum LED boards like the hlg?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076QDKVDZ/ref=psdcmw_14252941_t1_B07KWXFH78

These led shop lights from Wal-Mart seem to be working pretty good for me right now. But its a little too soon to tell.

Damn that looks nice might have to get a couple and retire my old mars hydro led's they put out so much damn heat :hot:

Walchit said:

I know a lot of people would disagree but, I'm using a heat mat under my plants all the time because the room I use is cooler, and I wanted to make sure their warm enough.  So far.. I haven't seen any ill effects from it.

Here's the Choc Primo when I bought the lights.
Lv8pKDQ.jpg

This is today with two of the lights.. two and a half weeks later.
J9Wm8Eq.jpg

Today, I just saw that it's flowering... must of did something wrong.... or is it a happy accident?  :think:

Back