• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

need some advice from some pepper people

ok so i am starting a little earlier this year that when i started my plants last year... im also increasing my numbers.. go big or go home. ok well back to the question i was wondering if 1- 400 watt hps light would be sufficent enough to start seeds and grow them inside for 3-4 months... if not what would? im planning on doing 200 if that is a factor... i have various small rooms so i can isolate the light to one room if that is also a factor... i hope i worded this right if not ask as many questions you need to fully answer my question... im trying to get everything sorted out before it comes time to plant seeds

THANKS TYLER

I wouldnt start out with a 400 W light. It doesnt take much to get the seedlings started. If you use a 400 W bulb on seedlings it could burn the leaves. Cotyledons. Use a weaker light to start. Like a cheap $11 grow light at wal mart of a few CFL bulbs. Then when the plants are a decent size 6" or so You can use the 400

yeah i already understood that part i was going to use some t8s or something on that line untill they are bigger but would 400w be big enough for about 200 for 3-4 months

If you're just looking to get an early start on next summer and don't expect any pods during the indoor time, go with Metal Halide instead of HPS. Sunmaster makes a great bulb called Neutral Deluxe for this. I've got a 400w and it's great for peppers, but I don't see how it could ever cover 200 plants. They'll eventually need to be transplanted into big enough containers that they simply won't all get enough light.

To put it into perspective, I'm preparing to use my 400w to bring in 6 choice plants that are in 5-gallon containers, and start about 10-20 new seedlings that will all be raised up through the winter to go outside in late March, and I'm even worried about crowding once those seedlings end up in 1-gal's. It's not just a wattage issue. If you want 200 plants, you would need multiple HID lights. However, if you were to only start them up for maybe 2 months or less before bringing them outside, you could probably squeeze that many solo cup-sized containers under the hood's light canopy.

Here's what my 400w Metal Halide setup looked like back in February when my grow area was confined to my old apartment's closet:
222-1.jpg

thanks you see im not really a light guy i dont know how much is not enough and too little thanks for showing me the pic i have to read some more about lights and stuff

TYLER

Megahot, how many plants can you comfortably fit in your tent? I read through your Glog last night and noticed no new posts, so didn't know if you'd brought things inside this year yet. Awesome job you've done with your 400w though. I really need to step up my efficiency.

Edit: I ask because we just built a new frame to hang my 400w from that is roughly 4x4 boxed in on the ground also. Trying to decide if I can afford to sow more seeds than I already have.

Megahot, how many plants can you comfortably fit in your tent? I read through your Glog last night and noticed no new posts, so didn't know if you'd brought things inside this year yet. Awesome job you've done with your 400w though. I really need to step up my efficiency.

Edit: I ask because we just built a new frame to hang my 400w from that is roughly 4x4 boxed in on the ground also. Trying to decide if I can afford to sow more seeds than I already have.

Thanks friend! I'm still actually switching from keeping the plants inside and out. Out during the day(temps have been around 70 and sunny) and in at night. My plants are a good size and in large pots(one 10 gal. and one 15 gal) So I can comfortable fit just the two plants. But these are nearly full sized plants, mind you. It of course just depends on how many and how big of plants. Of course when the weather continues to drop which will be very soon, the two plants I'm keeping will be in the grow tent permanently!

it would be enough for 200 plants like 100 pepper and 100 differnt ones for 3 months?
it would be enough for 200 plants like 100 pepper and 100 differnt ones for 3 months?
NOPE! Your gonna need a bigger boat! I mean tent! I mean your whole room or basement for 200 plants!!

you will also need more then a 400W light for 200+ plants for 3 months+

In that case I recommend several 2ft T5'S

2 or 4 ft T5's my bad lol

Thanks friend! I'm still actually switching from keeping the plants inside and out. Out during the day(temps have been around 70 and sunny) and in at night. My plants are a good size and in large pots(one 10 gal. and one 15 gal) So I can comfortable fit just the two plants. But these are nearly full sized plants, mind you. It of course just depends on how many and how big of plants. Of course when the weather continues to drop which will be very soon, the two plants I'm keeping will be in the grow tent permanently!

Love it! I'm gonna savor the last of the weather for hopefully 2 more weeks, and bring in the best 6 of my 5-gal's soon and cut them back to re-veg for next year while the new babies are growing. They're between a 20w fluoro and a 20w heating pad as of tonight :party:.

NOPE! Your gonna need a bigger boat! I mean tent! I mean your whole room or basement for 200 plants!!

you will also need more then a 400W light for 200+ plants for 3 months+

In that case I recommend several 2ft T5'S

2 or 4 ft T5's my bad lol
so i should cut out the hps light all together and just use several t5's or should i use the t5's and hps

so i should cut out the hps light all together and just use several t5's or should i use the t5's and hps

I assume you want to go the cheapest route possible? Which would be cfls then T5's. In your case 400 watt mh lights wouldnt be ideal due to the initial cost and they are more expensive to run.

yes exactly jon cheap cheap cheap...... i was looking and they sell cfls that are 26 watt but are equivalent to 100w so if i get like 20 or 30 of those i should be able to do it and they are pretty cheap and last about the same life as a mh or hps bulb

One 400w will not even come close.You will need multiple lights t8,t5,halide,whatever you choose.You could buy some vanity bars to hold the cfl's. You can mount them on the sides of the walls so light will get to the undergrowth. You could probably keep your plants in 5x5" square pots until the the 3 months is up. That is about max though,you will stunt them if they stay in those pots much longer. Also living in PA, don't make the mistake of planting out after the projected frost date. It was april 25 in PA and that is just way too early!! Frost isn't the only enemy,we get a lot of rain and cold nights,and that is not a good combo for capsicums. Misconception is it will toughen them up,but it only stunts them,and opens them up to disease! Your best bet is to get them outside when temps are consistant and they are in a growth stride. I may be way off topic,but I don't want you making mistakes!

One 400w will not even come close.You will need multiple lights t8,t5,halide,whatever you choose.You could buy some vanity bars to hold the cfl's. You can mount them on the sides of the walls so light will get to the undergrowth. You could probably keep your plants in 5x5" square pots until the the 3 months is up. That is about max though,you will stunt them if they stay in those pots much longer. Also living in PA, don't make the mistake of planting out after the projected frost date. It was april 25 in PA and that is just way too early!! Frost isn't the only enemy,we get a lot of rain and cold nights,and that is not a good combo for capsicums. Misconception is it will toughen them up,but it only stunts them,and opens them up to disease! Your best bet is to get them outside when temps are consistant and they are in a growth stride. I may be way off topic,but I don't want you making mistakes!
thanks prodigal i think i might take the route of a whole lot of 26 watt cfl that are equivelent to 100 watts and yeah i will make sure when to plant i dont need them stunted... that is also a good idea to put them underneath to so they get light from below

THANKS TYLER

ok so today i bought 24 100 watt cfl bulbs... i also needed to get a little more realistic with my plant count a lowered it to 100 will 24 100 watt cfls be enough or should i get a couple more

Back