• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

need some help with this.....

Im having this problem on a few of my mother plants....any ideas what it is and how the heck i get rid of it??

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

Isolate a few- Ironite application may bring the "green" back -IF its not an evil virus(new growth doesn't look deformed???).........worked on mine with very similar appearance. They weren't uncovered for a cold front were they?

the spots could be bacterial leaf spot. you could always try cal mag or some epome salt. i would say flush out the soil very good! then water it with some water and epsom salt or cal/mag se what happens with the new growth.

I'm having this problem too. Could it be cold? I'm not leaving my plants to freeze, but its around 55-75 depending on time of day. Heating is expensive.

Im having this problem on a few of my mother plants....any ideas what it is and how the heck i get rid of it??
Are you able to provide more information on the progression of the problem? Is the new growth affected too? It seems to be yellow although it's difficult to see in the photo.

I'm having this problem too. Could it be cold? I'm not leaving my plants to freeze, but its around 55-75 depending on time of day. Heating is expensive.
Do you have a photo plus more information on the progression of the problem?

yes the new growth is effected by it as well......

Is my description of how the new leaves are affected correct? Are the younger leaves yellowing entirely?

There are a few nutrient issues that affect older and young leaves in severe cases. Take a look at my primary reference, Symptoms of Deficiencies and Toxicities by Element, to see if it helps you identify other symptoms.

I think it's worth investigating whether you have a possible nutrient lockout issue as raised by AtomicCobraPeppers. The Impact of Mineral Deficiency Stress article lists some of the causes of deficiencies.

Queequeg152 referenced a useful chart a while back when somebody else was having a different issue:
when a plant is calcium deficient, the margins tend grow at a slower rate than that of midrib or center portion of the leaf. thats why you tend to see distortion with calcium.

we can infer its not nitrogen because nitrogen is mobile and begins at the bottom of the plant and moves towards the top. we can infer it is not magnesium because mag also shows up on older leaves first, it also tends to show up in the leaf margins first as interveinal chlorosis.

this imo is the best flowchart for deficiency symptopms. keep in mind some of these symptoms can also be caused by PH etc.
nutrient_deficiency_flowchart.gif

i dont think anyone here is claiming its 100% calcium deficiency, or at least i am not. it just seems to strongly resemble it.

IMO you should take stock of what exactly you are giving the plants using that website i linked. your fertilizer bottles should have all the necessary information. use saltmix.xls or that website i linked.

It's worth investigating the pH of the medium the plants are growing in.

What are you feeding the plants?

How long have the affected plants been in those pots?

Were the plants by chance out in heavy rain?

Interesting chart- it just got liked! From the chart -(Mn/Mg deficient)?More than one deficiency can occur simultaneously.......

ALSO-too much of some of these produce the same or similar conditions, one not mentioned yet...chlorine.

keep us posted.

yup...looks like chlorosis to me...pray it's not BLS

With the dark brown patches, looks like some type of 'rust' or mosiac virus.
My grape vines get it all the time, but is fairly harmless to them as they lose a few leaves, the vine doesn't die. Different story with chillies though, may kill them.

http://www.ehow.com/...-infection.html

Fumigate, cut off infected leaves, isolate...

As these are your 'mothers', maybe they picked up a virus after you pruned them back? I've read elsewhere that when pruning back, it's best to dip your tools into alcohol to disinfect the tools and have some sort of protection on the cut limb of the plant until it heals itself.

I agree with AJ on the chlorosis, dark veins and lighter tissue. With either of the blights you'd have darkened spotty stems, with blotchy undersides of the leaves. You don't want that.
It's kinda odd that it's on more than one plant, as it looks like your plants are in individual containers. That leads me to believe that its common in the medium that your using...
What is your ph sitting at? Are you lower leaves wimping out and falling off?

Greg

and I agree with Greg....you may be getting nutrient lock out because of your pH being off...

Looks like some chlorosis for sure! Check ph and prob re pot into some good soil. Check ph for sure...remember...lockout or chlorosis can create prime conditions for disease. Looks like a little leaf spot as well. Most often times in containers chlorosis is from overwatering/high humidity(evident by leafspot as well), but still check ph...

Back