• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need some starter help

So I've decided that this summer I'm going to grow some peppers with my friend when we move out to college. We will have a duplex so we'll have a yard. So I told my parents about my pepper growing plans and they're very excited about it. They gave me a sprouting kit for christmas (heat mat, 72 round container tray with lid, and sprouting plugs) Now all I have to to is order some seeds to start sprouting. Anyway, I plan on sprouting inside then transferring them outside when they've grown enough. I don't know if I should grow them in the ground or in pots seeing as at some point I think I may be moving them to the duplex late summer/early fall. I'll be growing in Minnesota too.

So, what fertilizers should I get? I plan on growing some really hot peppers and maybe a couple super hots also.
Growing mediums? Is it different for pots or ground?
watering schedules? Daily, every other day?
Growing in pots or in ground?
Anything you can think of that may help me is GREATLY appreciated!

I've done lots of reading on this website and so much of it is confusing to me.

Imagine I threw some smileys in there along with that post (I'm at work so I can't open the smileys for some reason...)

:welcome: from florida,,start your pepers in miracle grow in trays,then move them into 3 gallons,buy good chemicals :fireball: peace out enjoy your peppers :!: :drunk: :banghead:

80-86 degrees for germination. Avoid Miracle Grow and pick up some ProMix at Home Depot. It's on clearence right now locally. Final pot size should be no less than 5 gallons for most varieties IMO. Water only when needed. I wait until the leaves slightly wilt.

Keep reading, and good luck

80-86 degrees for germination. Avoid Miracle Grow and pick up some ProMix at Home Depot. It's on clearence right now locally. Final pot size should be no less than 5 gallons for most varieties IMO. Water only when needed. I wait until the leaves slightly wilt.

Great to have a local grower here who can let me know whats on sale :) My mat heats from 75-85 depending if I have it on an insulated flooring or not. I've heard that miracle grow doesn't help much. My mom used to garden and I didn't see miracle grow helping there either.

What fertilizers are recommended? I keep hearing stuff about x - x - x ratios w/ x% or is that the planting medium?
What are some good natural fertilizers that I can buy to keep these peppers organic?

What is this stuff? http://www.reimerseeds.com/rootshield.aspx
Is it worth the price?

I checked Home Depot online and they don't show ProMix in there web site. Where can I buy it without having to order online?

Do what MuskyMojo recommends. Peppers don't need much fertilizer, so don't spend money on anything too fancy. Some tomato tone or a good balanced fertilizer (numbers all the same) applied at half the recommended rate about twice per season are enough. Don't give them too much love.

Back