• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Neem oil and aphids.?

Bought some new babies today! An as any of you who have read some of my posts earlier this season. I tried growing my own from seed. EPIC FAIL on my part. Got great germination but either killed them all off with overwatering or the growing medium I transplanted into. "Bigs Lots brand black magic" not sure which did em in? But the 8 plants I purchased today after getting them home seen signs of aphids. Sure enough on inspection there the little buggers were. Started them on a mix of 1 1/2 tsp. neem oil to 28 ounce of water mix in a hand held sprayer. Now my question is how often to treat them with this mix? An is it mixed is it mixed to strong or can it damage the plants this young? The grower said he started the plants in early January if that helps. Thanks again guys.

From my experience with aphids, neem oil is about as effective as asking the aphids nicely to not harm your plants. I would get some pyrethrins.

Aphids generally aren't too much of a problem outdoors though where they have natural predators and other plants to eat. Only occasionally when they set up million aphid marches on individual plants do they really do damage. You can usually just knock them off with water from a garden hose or spray them with pyrethrins which will pretty much wipe them out for a few weeks.

Im not particular to one brand or an other, but i just tried Ortho elementals, "May be used up to and including the day of harvest"

Worked well, until I pulled the trigger on the sprayer and none came out. I wish this was consintrated, but unfortuneatly its not.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod10270022&itemId=cat10060006

I just got some of this in for the leaf-footed bugs my wife's tomato plant had... it has pyrethrin and sulfur and cleared up her plant in a day (they too just laughed at the neem oil)...

It cost more than I would have liked, but is concentrated and should last a while...

Bonide 218 Citrus, Fruit and Nut Orchard Spray
http://www.amazon.co...ils_o01_s00_i00

Im gonna have to try this. I use neem most of the time, but too much will clog up the stomata. I even got mad and dusted em with a paint brush dipped in nasal snuff and that pretty much put a dent in their little colony.

Back