• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Never Grew These Before. Opinions?

Just recently we had an incredible chef come cook for us at a hunting camp. He was quiet/private type guy. He used his own home-grown peppers to cook with. When he noticed how much I enjoyed his peppers, he prepared something special for me each meal with these peppers at center stage.

He left me a list of some peppers that he used. I added some hotter peppers to this list because I want to ferment my own hot sauce. Every one of the peppers listed below will be new for me.

If y'all can share how big of a plant it becomes and how prolific it is, that would be great. Any thought on flavor would be nice too.

Aji Dulce Yellow
Aji Dulce #2
Aji Panca (Beth may scratch this due to poor germination) I'd still like to give it a try though.
Belize Sweet
Cachucha
Trinidad Perfume
Hot Paper Lantern
Aji de la Tierra
Bishop's Crown
Kaleidoscope
Lemon Drop
Murupi - Red
Islenos Mulatto

I think the only ones I can't find are the

St. Lucia Seasoning pepper
Datil Sweet
Tobago Seasoning?

I'll have some extras to trade if anyone has the ones I'm gonna be missing.

I think chileplants.com has/have the last three, they specialize in selling them as plants though, which is a bit more costly than seeds.

pepperlover sells Tobago seasoning, and I have some OP seeds if you want.

Tobago seasoning has been pretty good for me, grown in a pot. Produced peppers when others would not due to the heat. Mine is small due to being in a smaller container, but I imagine it would get at least 3'x3' in the ground if your season is long enough.

Chileplants.com started selling seeds last year, and add new varieties each year, so check out their site anyway. Also, that site tells you the average adult plant size for each variety listed. Of the ones I've grown or tried,

Aji Dulce 2 - I wasn't overly impressed with the flavor of these. Much prefer the Aji Dulce 1.
Aji Panca - I like the flavor of this and use it much as an "everyday pepper powder" in my kitchen, much like I use cayenne
Trinidad Perfume - I don't care for the flavor of these raw or cooked in savory foods. However, they are one of my favorites to candy, so I usually grow several.
Aji de la Tierra - very good on fish.
Lemon Drop - sorry, I don't like these at all. My description is that they're like being kissed by Grandma on the mouth while she's wearing old-lady lipstick.
Datil Sweet - I really like the flavor of these, but while I've had fresh pods, haven't grown them yet simply due to space limitations.

Of course, those are just my personal opinions - taste is extremely subjective. I know some people really like Lemon Drops, for example, so you'd have to give them a try yourself and decide. Chileplants.com also sells fresh pods in the early fall, and I've found that to be a good way to try some different varieties without growing them. Most of the fresh pods they sell are chinenses.

Chileplants.com started selling seeds last year, and add new varieties each year, so check out their site anyway. Also, that site tells you the average adult plant size for each variety listed. Of the ones I've grown or tried,

Aji Dulce 2 - I wasn't overly impressed with the flavor of these. Much prefer the Aji Dulce 1.
Aji Panca - I like the flavor of this and use it much as an "everyday pepper powder" in my kitchen, much like I use cayenne
Trinidad Perfume - I don't care for the flavor of these raw or cooked in savory foods. However, they are one of my favorites to candy, so I usually grow several.
Aji de la Tierra - very good on fish.
Lemon Drop - sorry, I don't like these at all. My description is that they're like being kissed by Grandma on the mouth while she's wearing old-lady lipstick.
Datil Sweet - I really like the flavor of these, but while I've had fresh pods, haven't grown them yet simply due to space limitations.

Of course, those are just my personal opinions - taste is extremely subjective. I know some people really like Lemon Drops, for example, so you'd have to give them a try yourself and decide. Chileplants.com also sells fresh pods in the early fall, and I've found that to be a good way to try some different varieties without growing them. Most of the fresh pods they sell are chinenses.

lol @ the lemon drop comment. I've never had them but I've read quite the opposite. Yeah, I know everyone has their own opinion on taste, but I have some on the way. I guess time can only tell!

Sweet Datiil at Reimer and trade winds fruit...haven't ever used either vendor. Good luck.

Of your list I have grown theAji Panca and as Geeme mentioned great cooking pepper. Long slender mild peppers that can be powdered, pasted, stuffed , grilled or whatever.
Bishops Crown...cool (HUGE) plant that produces tons of pods. Very sweet and mild flesh with a little bite in the placenta. I like to snack on them with dinner. My in-ground grew to over 10' last year!
gallery_5729_48_408723.jpg

this shot of the Bishop's Crown was taken September 2nd...it grew another couple feet I'm 6'1" so in this pic about 8' tall.

Hot paper lantern...just what it says. Its HOT but not super and has the typical strong chinense flavor with a little more sweet to it than most pods this hot I think it was a little hotter than my Caribbean Red and sweeter but flavor was similar. My plant got pretty big (4-5ft) was very prolific and hearty. Was still kicking even after a few light frosts this year. Only chinense I had that did so.

Can't help you on the rest, but let us know how they all turn out for you!

Back