Never say never!

During my July harvest I saved a ton of seed from the few plants I had.. nothing incredibly interesting -- orange habs, red caribbean, a thai, a scotch bonnet, and a couple annums.

They seemed like they were taking forever to dry so I tossed them in the oven at 190f for a couple hours. I then labeled bagged and stored without a second thought.

To my horror, a few weeks ago I saw a thread on how to dry seeds that pretty much said, with a consensus from my own later search, that my seeds were cooked. Toasted. Dead.

Crap!

So I resaved everything from my next harvest (air-dried in little brown paper bags -- worked great).

I really didn't want to just toss the other ones. I just didn't want to believe the worst was true.

So I threw some damp paper towel in a big ziplock freezer bag and placed about 20 of each in there and laid it out on top of the heater on my snake cage under a towel (about 80-85f) and left it.

4 days later everything sprouted except the reds and the bonnets! 190f for literally a couple hours and they're still kickin'.

My point? Nature's tough as nails, never count her out, ever.

Feel free to share a story of your own comeback/growback after you thought all hope was lost.

Back