• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Addict

Well about 2 months ago I started playing around with the usual hot sauce we have made for years which is just jalapeno's, cilantro, onions, garlic. tomato and lime. I love to cook and was reading about Caribbean foods. So I decided to try out a recipe and instead of using 12 habs I used 4ea of jalapeno,serrano and habenero peppers. That started my addiction and present obsession with hot sauce making. Since then I planted Red Savina's(my current favorite), scotch bonnets, mucho jalepeno, serrano and a few orange,red and yellow bell peppers. I ordered some 4-5in carolina reapers, murago, butch t and devil scorpions which I planted yesterday. I'm a manager at a car dealership and the detailers and salesmen love my hot sauces/salsa's and always ask me to bring some to work. I'm having a blast experimenting with hot sauce making and always tweaking the recipes. So far what most people seem to like when I make it really hot with all habs is to have a profile with citrus, some sweet notes followed by the creeping heat of the hab in the mouth/throat. I'm looking forward to the fall when I can use the hotter plants from my garden to kick up the heat. 

SavinaRed said:
I'm not sure how to post a pic. I don't see where I can upload one from my computer.
upload to different website imgur.com is great.
click computer, select all your photos, hist start uploading, copy the links that say they are BBcode or for forums. paste into here.

SavinaRed said:
Well about 2 months ago I started playing around with the usual hot sauce we have made for years which is just jalapeno's, cilantro, onions, garlic. tomato and lime. I love to cook and was reading about Caribbean foods. So I decided to try out a recipe and instead of using 12 habs I used 4ea of jalapeno,serrano and habenero peppers. That started my addiction and present obsession with hot sauce making. Since then I planted Red Savina's(my current favorite), scotch bonnets, mucho jalepeno, serrano and a few orange,red and yellow bell peppers. I ordered some 4-5in carolina reapers, murago, butch t and devil scorpions which I planted yesterday. I'm a manager at a car dealership and the detailers and salesmen love my hot sauces/salsa's and always ask me to bring some to work. I'm having a blast experimenting with hot sauce making and always tweaking the recipes. So far what most people seem to like when I make it really hot with all habs is to have a profile with citrus, some sweet notes followed by the creeping heat of the hab in the mouth/throat. I'm looking forward to the fall when I can use the hotter plants from my garden to kick up the heat. 

You should chat up Pexpeppers. He is almost always in the chat room and he is always making new sauces. Tell him I said hi.

My favorite sauce so far started by accident. I was making relish (onion, jalapeno, cherry hot, bonnet, habanero, garlic (the good stuff, not the walmart stuff) cilantro, parsley, salt, pepper, turmeric and vinegar. On the boil I had to drain off some of the liquid. The result was a wonderful tasting base for a sauce. I added some of the solid stuff and ran it threw the food processor. It is great for cooking.

For salsa I use all the same ingredients (except for vinegar) and I add green apple instead of tomato. Sour green apple and hot peppers is a fantastic combination.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll be trying a bunch of recipes I have read here.

Back