• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests New Bugs

Found I new bug I haven't seen, hard shelled.

_C085310_NewBugs_zpsgpvdudci.jpg

Are those wing covers on its back, or is that just coloring that makes it look like that?

It sort of looks like a beetle in the first pic. In the second pic it almost looks like a really fat, round aphid. Just spitballin' here...

If you see a hole in the brown Aphids back side,it's Aphid wasps.

I introduced the Wasps years ago.
Haven't seen an Aphid since then.

If you buy them.
When you open the bottle,they swarm your plants.
REALLY cool when I had several Lemon plants HEAVILY infested with Aphids.
The videos are cool,but actually watching them is better.
Also,ants don't hang out anymore-no more Aphids to milk for sugar juice.

smokemaster said:
If you see a hole in the brown Aphids back side,it's Aphid wasps.

I introduced the Wasps years ago.
Haven't seen an Aphid since then.

If you buy them.
When you open the bottle,they swarm your plants.
REALLY cool when I had several Lemon plants HEAVILY infested with Aphids.
The videos are cool,but actually watching them is better.
Also,ants don't hang out anymore-no more Aphids to milk for sugar juice.

They occur naturally here, generally showing up in early April.  There's always a period of a week or two when the aphids run amok, multiplying like mad and sucking the life out of my young plants.  Just when I start to get well and truly worried, the wasps show up to save the day.  Within another week, the slaughter is well underway, with dozens/hundreds of cocoons littering the leaves.  The aphid population eventually stabilizes at tolerable level that supports a small population of wasps.  Lacewings start to dominate the predator population by July, and they persist well into the winter months.

Geonerd said:

They occur naturally here, generally showing up in early April.  There's always a period of a week or two when the aphids run amok, multiplying like mad and sucking the life out of my young plants.  Just when I start to get well and truly worried, the wasps show up to save the day.  Within another week, the slaughter is well underway, with dozens/hundreds of cocoons littering the leaves.  The aphid population eventually stabilizes at tolerable level that supports a small population of wasps.  Lacewings start to dominate the predator population by July, and they persist well into the winter months.

F**k Azamax!

I brought 5 plans in to over winter.  I trimmed the plant down, including the roots.  Then soaked the entire plant in azamax and got all of the dirt out of the root system.  Then planted in clean soil.  I now have a large infestation and ordered some lady bugs today.  Darn things!

Back