New Chili Head here in Toronto!

Hey everyone,

Just registered and thought I'd introduce myself. 

Very new to the hot pepper scene, based in the city of Toronto.   I guess the growing bug bit me last summer when I tried my hand at a veggie garden for the first time.  A couple of the plants I picked up were some sort of thai chili pepper.  Almost everything else was a failure, but the peppers came through and gave me quite a little crop for my first time out.   I cook a lot, so it was fun experimenting with using them in recipes... one of my biggest hits was making a hot pepper infused vodka!

These days I'm using an Aerogarden at the office, where I've got a couple different plants all mixed together from seeds I ordered on Amazon.   A Carolina reaper, bhut jolokia, peter pepper, tepin, and a chocolate habanero are all about 60 days in, and have just started fruiting!

Planning on upgrading to a big grow tent and some proper lights soon, but I'll save that for another post!

Any other Toronto folks here?

:welcome:  to the THP forums! Those Thai peppers are indeed great little producers- I have one I picked up at a local store a few weeks ago; it's not even a foot tall and already is putting out dozens of flowers and pods!

Hope you have a great season this year! Best of growing!  :cool:

Thanks Alchymystic!    Is there a list or sticky around these forums to help noobs like me?   i.e. what not to do when you rush into the hobby and try to master it over night?  haha

hotjohn said:
Thanks Alchymystic!    Is there a list or sticky around these forums to help noobs like me?   i.e. what not to do when you rush into the hobby and try to master it over night?  haha
Plenty of great info in the growers forum!! :) You'll find tons of info and an incredible group of knowledgeable people to answer any questions. Really amazing group there!! :)

And Welcome aboard shipmate!!!! Have fun ask questions don't be shy and get in there and have fun.

Welcome to THP. Check out the "Vendor's Vault" sub-forum to find good reputable seed/plant merchandise, as well as fresh and dried peppers...
...then go to these merchants' websites, and just goggle glassy-eyed at all the crazy varieties you can grow !! The colors, weird shapes, and cultivational quirks of these thermally inspired fruits are varied enough to boggle the viewer.

When i joined, i was astounded at how helpful, informative and fascinating that the forum could be -- and then found how helpful, informative and fascinating the MEMBERS are !!
I literally had to refuse more members' offers of seed gifts than i accepted from them... and still haven't found space to grow even half of the strains given to me. Those offers were not made because i requested or 'fished' or 'panhandled' for them, they were made, spontaneously, because i posted questions on the forums' threads solely out of curiousity!

We can get a little crazy in the "Social" sub-forums, but heyyyyyy... it's all in good fun.

I used to live in Toronto... see you in the forum, fellow Canuck. PM me if you have a question you can't find an answer to.

Post-Scriptus: If you're growing indoors you've got to check out the "Grow Tech" forum.

Welcome. I too will venture into the world of chili infused alcohol. I have doen this with quite a few things but not chili, the time is now. On a side note I was tipped about infusing white rum with ginger by a Jamaican. Needs to age for about a year...Its so damn good! I think a ginger and chili infusion would be mind blowing. Oh the possibilities!!

Welcome! I'm from Toronto too - and just signed up today - so it's nice to see someone else in the same boat. The grow tent and vodka sound interesting.

Back