• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid New Cross - Massive Production

I thought I was growing Ají Charapita, but it turns out a bee had pollinated it with another species. I have no idea what this cross could be, Im just lucky it turned out this way. Have you guys ever seen anything like this?

Attachments

• 53477318-140F-4899-A5D2-AAD3DDCBD7DE.jpeg
    53477318-140F-4899-A5D2-AAD3DDCBD7DE.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 52827D7B-9CF8-420D-8036-DBBD7BDB6D6D.jpeg
    52827D7B-9CF8-420D-8036-DBBD7BDB6D6D.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 2FD657EF-4623-41BF-9CD5-052F6131BE36.jpeg
    2FD657EF-4623-41BF-9CD5-052F6131BE36.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 113
  • E48CBC86-0201-4757-831D-590D1B225CD9.jpeg
    E48CBC86-0201-4757-831D-590D1B225CD9.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 112
The bee wouldn't have cross pollinated that particular plant. Cross pollination results aren't seen until that fruit matures and the seed is taken from that and grown out. So, it is more than likely the seed you were given or reaped from last years harvest if that is from a plant you grew before, were cross pollinated.

I dont think I explained myself properly. I took a pepper from my Ají Charapita plant, planted a seed from it, and this plant was the result.

Interesting looking pepper.  :)

Do you recall what other varieties of pepper plant were growing nearby your Ají Charapita last year?

DontPanic said:
Interesting looking pepper.  :)

Do you recall what other varieties of pepper plant were growing nearby your Ají Charapita last year?
I had Jalapeños, Scorpion Peppers, Ghost Peppers, Habaneros, Tabasco, Poblanos, Ají Yellow, and Cayenne.
The plants next to my Charapitas were my habaneros, so I suspect it could’ve crossed with them. Unfortunately it’s not 100% guaranteed.

I'd be willing to grow out an F2 generation and would be happy to keep you updated with pictures and send back seeds from any desirable pods. Its late to get started here but I'm doing a similar project with some commercial varieties I picked up while traveling through the Caribbean earlier this winter (assuming they're F1). I'm growing them out in 3 gallon pots so I can bring them in under the lights this fall if needed. I'm making organza iso bags too, just to make sure everyone stays in their lane.

PepperFish said:
I'd be willing to grow out an F2 generation and would be happy to keep you updated with pictures and send back seeds from any desirable pods. Its late to get started here but I'm doing a similar project with some commercial varieties I picked up while traveling through the Caribbean earlier this winter (assuming they're F1). I'm growing them out in 3 gallon pots so I can bring them in under the lights this fall if needed. I'm making organza iso bags too, just to make sure everyone stays in thier lane.
The current pandemic disables me from sending out any seeds at this precise moment. Fortunately for me, my climate allows me to plant all year long, so I planted some F2’s a few days ago. If you’d like, I could send you some F3’s down the road this year so you could pot up for next season. I’ll make sure to gather plenty seeds, since they don’t give out too many. Sounds good?

Definitely a pepper that attracts my attention :)

A habanero-charapita cross exists: charanero (https://www.hrseeds.com/product-page/charanero-pepper). Check the youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DTJWtgvJvg&vl=en-CA), the herbal part looks very different from costaricandude's plant, though the fruits bear some resemblance (still quite different though).

While searching for information, I came across an interesting charapita growing guide (PDF, in Spanish). It contains, inter alia, a section (including photographs) of how the plant looks with several types of nutrient deficiencies: http://repositorio.unu.edu.pe/bitstream/handle/UNU/4008/UNU_AGRONOMIA_2019_L_RITARIVARUIZ.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Interesting that the charapita growing guide identifies aji charipita as capsicum frutescens, when aji charapita commonly refers to a capsicum chinense variety. I don't see a picture in the guide from which I can get a dispositive ID on theirs.  Just looking through it though, it seems to have a lot of interesting information and images.

CaneDog said:
Interesting that the charapita growing guide identifies aji charipita as capsicum frutescens, when aji charapita commonly refers to a capsicum chinense variety. I don't see a picture in the guide from which I can get a dispositive ID on theirs.  Just looking through it though, it seems to have a lot of interesting information and images.

An interesting observation... So when I search for aji charapita and frutescens, I end up with a lot of references that have one common denominator: the publication source is an institution located in Peru. "International sources" seem to relate to it as chinense:

- Catalogue of promising Peruvian peppers (Capsicum spp.) preserved in the seed bank INIA - Peru (https://www.bioversityinternational.org/e-library/publications/detail/catalogo-de-ajies-capsicum-spp-peruanos-promisorios-conservados-en-el-banco-de-sem/)
- Assessment of Capsiconinoid Composition, Nonpungent Capsaicinoid Analogues, in Capsicum Cultivars (https://doi.org/10.1021/jf900634s)

ahayastani said:
An interesting observation... So when I search for aji charapita and frutescens, I end up with a lot of references that have one common denominator: the publication source is an institution located in Peru. "International sources" seem to relate to it as chinense:

I'm not getting those same hits searching from my geography, but I did finds some pages at other sites that gave it a frutescens ID despite showing a picture of the fruit with an annular constriction of the calyx, which one would expect to find in chinense, but not frutescens.  I couldn't find a picture with that view in the guide.  I wonder if there is a frutescens "aji charipita" the institute has identified and works with or if it's simply a mistaken ID, perhaps based on upright pods.  If there is one, it would cool to know more about it.

Costaricandude said:
The current pandemic disables me from sending out any seeds at this precise moment. Fortunately for me, my climate allows me to plant all year long, so I planted some F2s a few days ago. If youd like, I could send you some F3s down the road this year so you could pot up for next season. Ill make sure to gather plenty seeds, since they dont give out too many. Sounds good?

Oh man, I'm sure Costa is nice this time of year. Even better idea, I could just come there and grow out the next 10 generations for you!!!

In all seriousness though, I'm happy to help however just let me know.

Pura Vida, friend. Stay safe!

CaneDog said:

I'm not getting those same hits searching from my geography, but I did finds some pages at other sites that gave it a frutescens ID despite showing a picture of the fruit with an annular constriction of the calyx, which one would expect to find in chinense, but not frutescens.  I couldn't find a picture with that view in the guide.  I wonder if there is a frutescens "aji charipita" the institute has identified and works with or if it's simply a mistaken ID, perhaps based on upright pods.  If there is one, it would cool to know more about it.

I am given quite some hits from Peruvian scientific PDF repositories (especially thesis), and they all seem to label charapita as frutescens, for example:
These examples are cross-institutional... Fascinating.

Spanish language wiki gives charapita as an example of frutescens, while the English wiki does not.

In any case, I hope Costaricandude keeps us informed about the progress of his hybrid(s). I really like the looks of the plant.

Back