• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Experiment

So, it really has been a challenge growing the super hotties in my environment, if it isn't just too cold, it is just too dry. Many times it has taken 2 years to see pods of a hottie and sometimes plants don't make it through the overwintering. example, to date i have never been successful with chocolate bhut jolokia or trinidad scorpion butchT.   But, that may be nearing an end, because i think i have the formula, the technology: it is called soil air injection.

Around the end of april i decided to plant some red & yellow habaneros, i don't know which because it was a mixed package from burpees called "red & yellow habanero". as the 3 plants started to grow, i got the idea to set up my hydroponic dwc station, thinking this would be the best chance for them to produce in such a short period of time(i am getting set to bring my container plants into the house for the winter in 2 weeks). i was cruising around youtube looking for "stuff" and came across a clip on air injection and got to thinking, "wonder how it would work for me" so i took inventory and found all the items i needed.

the habs were started in Promix HP in my heated germination station and stayed there for about 3 or 4 weeks after germinating, that would probably make them ready for potting up mid june. i found old yogurt containers about 1/2 a liter in size and my 1/2 plastic pots with holes on the bottom, that i normally use for potting up. i put a paper towel cut out into the bottom of the second container, to keep the soil from falling out initially and filled it with my recycled soil. i put the 3" seedling into the soil and inserted a tube with airstone through the soiled container so the airstone protruded out the bottom. in the first container i put some rocks and nutrient water to about the 2/3's mark and placed the soil container into the first. plugged the airtube into my airpump and listened for the hiss of air being released into water. continued with the other 2 plants and placed them under lights.

here is what things looked like when i started this experiment June 12:

here is how they progressed as of September 2nd:

the little piece of white to the left of the airstone is unfocused roots:

and finally fruiting:

So, the benefits for me to adopt this technology are:
4 months to flowering and fruit set.
timed correctly, plants would be potted up into 3-5 gallon containers with flowers/fruit in June, unlike today where i am waiting until august for flowering.
i can cut way back on the number of multiple plants and focus on variety. right now i have about 70 plants with many multiples in the hope something will produce.
the airpump and lights are cheap to operate.
nutrients are cheap as i just use what is lying around, i have even used homemade seaweed/comfrey tea.
less lifting of containers as i won't have as many as when i am trying to avoid hail season or weeks that forecast cold nights(like now).

the only downside so far is remembering to check the water level in the second container but refill every 3-4 days and i should be good with event reminders.

hope you enjoyed the little presentation and thanks for viewing.

A try some moruga's im here in the az and ive had luck with them not alot of pods but its one that did better than the others besides a unknown ...
Some kind of ts?(yellow)

Back