• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc New greenhouse = year round production

About a month ago I came across the deal I had been looking for. A used 16'x95' greenhouse frame, that is in excellent condition and thousands of dollars less than new and even a $1,000 or so less than I could have built myself. So cash exchanged hands and I loaded it on my trailer.

For the last 2 years I have been trying to get my business off the ground. I've also been trying to grow things in the ground but the weather, disease and bugs have had their say. This year we've had massive rainfall and have surpassed our annual average almost two months ago. This last week is the first time that my property no longer has any standing water since February. All of that rain has actually been a hidden blessing. It has shown me that where I was initially going to build the greenhouses would have been in a soggy swamp. The next step for me is to bring in a lot of dirt to raise up the ground for the greenhouse.

The first greenhouse will be used to mostly grow hydroponic lettuce and basil. Assuming my math is correct, there will be space for 2,000 heads of lettuce in the house when it is at full production. I'll also throw in some dutch bucket hot peppers to get them going for next year. Next spring,I am planning to build a second house that will be for dutch bucket tomato and pepper production.
I've already grown lettuce as a test of the system and nutrients and that has done well. It also went over better than expected when given to friends and strangers.

Soon, I'll be launching a fundraising campaign on Kickstarter to help speed up the process, and hopefully, it will go well. There are some nice pledge rewards that I've been putting together to encourage people to support the project.

I've been trying to do this without a loan from the Ag credit union or borrowing money from family. However, I've come to the realization that I need to not be stubborn and ask for help.

I'm really looking forward to what lies ahead next year, no matter what comes of it.

Awesome.  While that is way longer than I could ever manage, a greenhouse wouldbe badass.  I have one of those little 4 tiers on the deck but it's about useless

Thank you. If the Kickstarter fundraiser goes well, it will go up a lot faster. I've also been looking at grants and microloans from places such as Whole Foods and the USDA. The catch on all that I've found is that you have to be established and in production already.

I already have a bench heating and cooling system, 1,000 seeds to start with, 2 shade cloth, 10,000 grow plugs, a nursery setup of flood tables and lights, plenty of buckets for a decent dutch bucket system similar to mhpgardener's setup on youtube, the greenhouse and property.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EqaYohUNas&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D_EqaYohUNas&nomobile=1

This is a very interesting video about greenhouses and winter growing

Nightshade,
Will Allen of Growing Power has a fantastic setup of aquaponic houses. It's worth searching out.

Mlh5953,
I like Kickstarter because to me, it seems more honest than some other crowd sourcing sites. A project has to have a defined goal, be a creative project that fits their categories and has to be approved by the Kickstarter staff. They dont look for content, only to make sure it fits their guidelines. The people that pledge money to your project do get something in return. The other day I pledged money to Redhead Creamery for their new cheese making plant. Their project will hit the goal they have because it has the momentum. And it's only if a project reaches its goal do the credit cards of the donors get charged. If their project doesn't get the support needed, they get nothing and the backers of the project do not get charged.

Back