• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Grower...Advice & Info Appreciated

Hi all...having been a member of this forum now for a short while, I am amazed at what a family this place is. So, I knew this would be the place to get a little advice on my first growing season.

Originally, I decided to start growing my own, because I was tired of spending a pile of cash on Serranos. So, as a little experiment, I started seeding Serranos and Jalapenos, drying them, the test-germinating them. Easy enough. In fact, I still have a little Jalapeno growing in my kitchen window for the winter. Then, another teacher here at school gave me a bunch of marked bags with about a dozen different peppers. I dried those seeds. So I got to thinking...I'd love to have a pepper garden this spring...but I don't want to wait until August to start pulling in my haul. I've come to the point that I'm going to be ordering some of the "super-hots", and trying to grow them as well.

So here's the deal...I'm not interested in spending a dime, once I get the seeds. I have horse poop, potting soil, and sandy-loam, and live in the DFW (Texas) area. I want to start my seeds in early January on the little starter-pucks, stick those in the mulch-cups, then when March hits, get my plants outside. I'd like to be knee-deep in peppers all summer.

So...based on this...got any tips? I'm considering a container-garden...maybe 40 pots or so...that way I can make adjustments here and there.

Howdy neighbor...

Serranos, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and a few other annuums will produce for you here in the DFW area within about 60+ days from plant out...some of them will continue to produce straight on through our hot July/August period...the superhot chinense do NOT produce many pods or even start to set pods until it cools down in September...then your harvest is going to be the last of November...and chocolate habaneros are the very last to harvest...

I don't recommend the peat starter pucks...in my experience it is hard to keep them just moist and not wet or dry...they are definitely convenient but to me the convenience is about the only postivie for them...when you transplant, it is recommended that you cut off the "net" around the expanded pucks to eliminate root repression...sometimes it is hard for the roots to grow out of the net...and if you roots have grown through the nets and you try to remove the netting, root damage occurs...I highly recommend a soil-less starting medium (you can get Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix locally) and a seed starting tray used in as close to an 86F enviroment as you can get...if you use the starter trays with domes, be sure to watch them...they have a tendency to build up high water vapor (under the hood) and promotes fungus growth and damping off IMO.

as you have probably seen, I grow exclusively in containers and you are welcome to come visit to look at my little operation...you want superhot seeds?.....the you really need to come and visit...I have a large selection of seeds that I am sure we can talk turkey on...

good luck this spring...

Howdy neighbor...

Serranos, Jalapeno, Cayenne, and a few other annuums will produce for you here in the DFW area within about 60+ days from plant out...some of them will continue to produce straight on through our hot July/August period...the superhot chinense do NOT produce many pods or even start to set pods until it cools down in September...then your harvest is going to be the last of November...and chocolate habaneros are the very last to harvest...

I don't recommend the peat starter pucks...in my experience it is hard to keep them just moist and not wet or dry...they are definitely convenient but to me the convenience is about the only postivie for them...when you transplant, it is recommended that you cut off the "net" around the expanded pucks to eliminate root repression...sometimes it is hard for the roots to grow out of the net...and if you roots have grown through the nets and you try to remove the netting, root damage occurs...I highly recommend a soil-less starting medium (you can get Hoffmans Seed Starting Mix locally) and a seed starting tray used in as close to an 86F enviroment as you can get...if you use the starter trays with domes, be sure to watch them...they have a tendency to build up high water vapor (under the hood) and promotes fungus growth and damping off IMO.

as you have probably seen, I grow exclusively in containers and you are welcome to come visit to look at my little operation...you want superhot seeds?.....the you really need to come and visit...I have a large selection of seeds that I am sure we can talk turkey on...

good luck this spring...

Sounds good...I may need to come out for a visit. My #1 main priority is not spending $50 month on serranos and japs...but I would like some hot stuff too...just a little...for fun.

cool...since I am retired, most any time is OK...

Awwww...man...I could'a had you come do a presentation on the emergence of seedlings, and plant responses to their environment for my science class!

What part of FTW do you live in?

Pmed you

Back