• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New grower trying to figure out how much light needed for plan.

Hey guys,

So my first summer was a success and I've caught the bug and am planning to start my own peppers this winter.

I would like to have 32 plants total to pot out next spring, and with a short grow season up here in Canada I would like them to be well along their way by the time spring comes along.

I've read quite a few threads on light and would just like some reassurance from some experienced growers that my decisions are on par with my needs before I invest.

As a side note I'd prefer to spend a little more initially if it would mean keeping the hydro bill down. I'd also prefer to keep it to one fixture if possible. Would like to keep it around $150 if possible.

Choice A: 1 4ft 4-lamp T5 grow light

This seems pretty simple and straight forward. 212 watts total.

Choice B: 150 watt HID.

Seems simple but I'd be a bit nervous of frying my sprouts. On the other hand I'd save 25% on the hydro.

Choice C: A DIY LED.

I like to build things and I think this is something I could figure out, however, given my needs I'm unsure if the effort is worth it and the cost would have to be similar to the other two options.

Choice D: You're overthinking this, just grab a couple 4ft t8 shop lights and pop in some cool white bulbs since you're only starting them for a few months! From my understanding these would be about 1/2 the wattage of the T5s..

Thoughts?

This year was my first year also. I went with choice D because it was inexpensive. It worked great for me and I plan on doing it again this year. I could fit 40 plants in square 3.5 inch pots under one shop light.

For starting /seedlings, choice D is fine I think. You can always add a few CFL's if you need a little more for the plants as they get bigger.

Good luck!

I'd prefer the T5's for sure, but T8's do the trick too. I use both. I hardly notice a difference, but I run a 6 bulb T8, and only a 4 bulb T5.

D would work but will be more expensive to operate than an HID light.  If you do go HID I'm not sure 150w would be enough for 32 plants "well along their way" since that's only enough wattage to effectively light a 2'x2' area (48sq inches/32 plants=1.5" per plant), 

Last year I had approximately 100 seedlings started and grew them under 500 watts of high pressure sodium (since that's what I had on hand... metal halide would probably be a better choice) and that's still not ideal (3" per plant).  I start them on a table by a south facing window and used the lights to supplement the sunlight. 

I've also used an old light table to start seedlings (used in printing to look at color proofs, or doctors office to view x-rays) Basically it's just a florescent fixture containing four 4' bulbs and it worked okay but if you want plants bigger than 8 to 10" it's not bright enough to penetrate to the lower leaves so they'll start yellowing and falling off as the plants get taller. 

In the end I wouldn't over think it too much.  Use any of your choices but try to grow them in a location where they'll get as much natural sunlight as possible because no amount of lights will ever replace the sun.  Remember to keep florescent lights just a couple of inches away from the tops of the plants, and HID lights at least a foot away since they burn much hotter.

I start mine with Shop lights with better bulbs in them.  The kind you find at a grow shop.  Then i use 400 watt lights but i'm switching to a t5 this year after they get bigger.

Sweet, ok thanks I appreciate the opinions and reassurance.

I found a 4 bulb shop light at Home Depot for $55. Totally reasonable cost-wise and if it will work for starts that will be awesome. I'll put 'em near a window as well.

8 - 10" plants would be sweet to put out. I am also thinking that I can top them if they start getting a bit too tall too soon.

AaronRiot said:
Sweet, ok thanks I appreciate the opinions and reassurance.

I found a 4 bulb shop light at Home Depot for $55. Totally reasonable cost-wise and if it will work for starts that will be awesome. I'll put 'em near a window as well.

8 - 10" plants would be sweet to put out. I am also thinking that I can top them if they start getting a bit too tall too soon.
You can top them and make them bushy.  I did that too mine this year.  Your set up won't cost much too run either.

jedisushi06 said:
You can top them and make them bushy.  I did that too mine this year.  Your set up won't cost much too run either.

Exactly!

kylec said:

Looks like a nice light. My thoughts on that type of set up -- for my personal needs -- is that in order to keep the light very close to the plants I'd need like 4-5 of them, whereas a 4ft x 1.5ft fixture would spread the light out amongst the 32 starts and manage to keep very close to the canopy. Like within an inch or two.

Additionally, if a were to go with a number of the above linked light, I would guess it'd be more economical to go with a 400w HID.

Cfls or t5s will be enough to start you off with but will not be enough for 32 developed plants. Pretty sure you can pickup a second hand metal halode for 50. I payed 32 for a 1000w unit.

Sarge said:
Cfls or t5s will be enough to start you off with but will not be enough for 32 developed plants. Pretty sure you can pickup a second hand metal halode for 50. I payed 32 for a 1000w unit.

Appreciate the advice, however, as I said in the original post: Only starting one flat, and planning to keep 32 to plant outdoors under the big light in the sky.. at around 10 inches in height and bushy (hopefully!). 1000w would be overkill methinks.

willard3 said:
3000 lumens per square foot of plant canopy  which translates from 30-50 watts/square foot of plant canopy.

So is 3000/sq. ft. lumens for a full mature plant?

I have a T12 (8720lms) & T8(11000lms) (4 bulbs each) 19,720lms
2' x4'  area, 1 overhead, 1 sideways behind
19,720lms/8sq.ft. = 2465 lms/sq. ft

My plants are 4"-6" and some new seedlings starting (all hydro).
I assume this is probably more then I need for now, but should hold me for a good while?
At what point would I need more?

Mature chile plants will have a plant canopy of from 5-7 square feet.

3000 lumens/sq ft.  is required if you are going to bring the chile to fruit.

Back