• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New growth turning yellow

I've just noticed the new growth in my Naga Viper turning yellow. It's just the top few leaves - the bottom ones still look fine. The photos don't quite show how bright the yellow is, it's almost a white.

I tried to research if it could be a deficiency of some sort, but it sounds like the signs for deficiencies usually start at the bottom leaves.

Do you think this could be overwatering, or maybe just a reaction to its recent transplant? Maybe a sunburn, even though it's been outside for weeks now?

Attachments

• 20210601_171854.jpg
    20210601_171854.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 156
  • 20210601_171842.jpg
    20210601_171842.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 125
I see maybe a little sunburn on the leaf at near left (in the second photo). Doesn't look too bad.

See any bugs?

It's normal for newer growth to be a lighter shade of green than the older more mature growth.  If it's literally white, it could be sunburn, but I still wonder about that if it's already been outside in full sun for weeks and the change just showed up overnight.  Also new growth outside is least likely to burn, compared to indoor growth moved outside.  Is it powdery at all?

Either way, the plant looks pretty healthy overall.  If it were me, I wouldn't even be trying to diagnose anything yet.  But to your note, yes, if you do see green going to yellow, especially from the bottom up, then you need to feed it some cal mag and maybe a gentle nitrogen fertilizer (assuming it's not overwatered, which it doesn't appear to be).

Uncle_Eccoli said:
I see maybe a little sunburn on the leaf at near left (in the second photo). Doesn't look too bad.

See any bugs?
No bugs, luckily! I've been checking regularly, and I just gave it a really good once-over.

I've seen what new growth can look like on some of my peppers. Kind of a lime green. This is a little more yellow and whitish than what I'm used to seeing, and it showed up rather suddenly on what I'm pretty sure were green leaves.

I took some construction paper to help isolate the leaves a little to better illustrate what I'm seeing, since the camera isn't picking it up too well - to me, it looks like it's almost white in spots. It's not sun glare, this area is in shade. I took my peppers inside for several days to protect them from lower 40s recently, but other than that it's been outside full time.

If you think it's not worth worrying too much over at this time, then I can definitely wait and keep watch on it for a bit, see if anything changes. If it's just sunburn or something, then no worries.

Attachments

• 20210601_191344.jpg
    20210601_191344.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20210601_191245.jpg
    20210601_191245.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210601_191241.jpg
    20210601_191241.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 114
I see.  Yeah, just looks like a little sunburn.  Don't worry, it should grow out of it.  Your plants won't always look picture perfect.  :halo:

Kramer said:
I see.  Yeah, just looks like a little sunburn.  Don't worry, it should grow out of it.  Your plants won't always look picture perfect.  :halo:
Thank you so much. This is all very new to me, so I'm still learning not to jump at every little thing that might be wrong. I really appreciate the reassurance! I don't mind having peppers that aren't pretty, as long as I get something to eat. :P

Back