New here

Hey now;
I made my way here , cause I am trying to make my first hot sauce. I have a salt restriction and all the store stuff has to much salt. My personal favorite is a Buffalo sauce. I also like Mango habenero sauce too.
So I just stemmed a bunch of dried chili pods I got at the grocery store. I put them in a cup of distilled vinegar in a pot and they are rehydrateing, I hope, as I type. Then I am just going to bring them to a boil, let them cool , put them in a container and refidgerate them for 2 days, then I am not sure about the rest of the process. I think I blend them or strain them I am not sure which to do first. Also I left the salt out and I wonder what purpose salt plays in making hot sauce. I see it mostly as a preservative in most items.I realy hope this works one of my favorite foods is franks red hot on anything, If I can make it without the salt YEEHAW!
LSB

You stated you like Buffalo wing sauce. Perfect!

Next batch, don't use regular distilled vinegar, it's nasty, try either white wine or rice vinegar, as they taste much better, and you still get the lovely olfactory cringe from the smell. You stated you like Frank's, well, I'm not gonna touch that one, but you may want to try your hand at the same sort of process they use. Puree a bunch of Cayenne chilis (fresh), add a bit of vinegar, and just a pinch of sugar. Let them sit for a few days (give 'em a shake every now and then). Strain the liquid, and add a bit of unsalted butter (NOT MARGARINE), and heat in a sauce pan at low heat until combined. The reason for the butter is so it will stick to the wing better. You'll have to play around with the recipe a little to bring it to your taste, but it's a good start, AND you have made a creation with NO salt, Frank's is loaded with the stuff, as are most prepared sauces. Enjoy.

Leafsunbear said:
Hey now;
I made my way here , cause I am trying to make my first hot sauce. I have a salt restriction and all the store stuff has to much salt. My personal favorite is a Buffalo sauce. I also like Mango habenero sauce too.
So I just stemmed a bunch of dried chili pods I got at the grocery store. I put them in a cup of distilled vinegar in a pot and they are rehydrateing, I hope, as I type. Then I am just going to bring them to a boil, let them cool , put them in a container and refidgerate them for 2 days, then I am not sure about the rest of the process. I think I blend them or strain them I am not sure which to do first. Also I left the salt out and I wonder what purpose salt plays in making hot sauce. I see it mostly as a preservative in most items.I realy hope this works one of my favorite foods is franks red hot on anything, If I can make it without the salt YEEHAW!
LSB

Hello, and welcome. Am I correct in assuming that your choice of salutation would mean that you are a Deadhead in addition to a Chile Head? If so, join the club. Me too. If wrong, I hope you aren't offended (although I'm not sure why anyone would be ;) .

Welcome.

Josh

Aiko Aiko one day, correct you are. Also a little rainbow familia here too, Hello Has two negatives, Hell and Low.. KInda funny nowadays to me. Makes me smile!!!

Thanks also for the no salt wing sauce , I will try it soon as I can get some good chili's...

Peace;
LSB

Leafsunbear said:
Aiko Aiko one day, correct you are. Also a little rainbow familia here too, Hello Has two negatives, Hell and Low.. KInda funny nowadays to me. Makes me smile!!!

Thanks also for the no salt wing sauce , I will try it soon as I can get some good chili's...

Peace;
LSB

Ahhh, but as a student of Math and Science (among other things) 2 negatives do a positive make 😉

Again, welcome. I spent over 20 years (and countless dinero) chasing the boys (GD) around.

staffing said:
If wrong, I hope you aren't offended (although I'm not sure why anyone would be ;) .

The only thing I find offensive about being a Deadhead is my inability to ever see Jerry live.

Keep Truckin' :D

T.

Tina Brooks said:
staffing said:
If wrong, I hope you aren't offended (although I'm not sure why anyone would be :D .

The only thing I find offensive about being a Deadhead is my inability to ever see Jerry live.

Keep Truckin' ;)

T.

Yup. I miss Jerry. I grateful for the times I did get to see him. I'll never forget hearing the news that he had died. I'd been going to Dead shows since '80. Oh, well. Life goes on. ;)

I still catch Bobby and whoever he is playing with. It's fun, but not quite the same.

Back