New hot sauce venture: Sauce Science

First let me thank all of you in the community for making this forum the awesome spicy resource that it is. I've learned a ton from the site and I guess at the same time not enough as I decided to go ahead and try my hand at bringing my spin on hot sauce to market, damn the torpedoes. We're currently trying to bootstrap the start-up pains by going on Kickstarter. I've hesitated to post the campaign to the boards preferring to rely on our established local fan base, but as the campaign winds down and we're close to our goal I thought I would make an announcement to the community. Check out our campaign and if you are intrigued then pick up a bottle or 13. :) Thanks for all you do, keep it hot.

-Jon Engel
Sauce Science LLC
www.saucescience.com

First, welcome to the forums. :welcome: 

Not to sound too critical, but in my opinion these labels need a lot of work.

Speaking as a hot sauce enthusiast & consumer, I would be put off by the "heat only" label format, since I shop for flavor with heat as a secondary priority.  And at a glance I have absolutely no idea what peppers are in these sauces, or what the secondary ingredients are. I don't even know what style of sauces these are, nor can I even vaguely guess at the flavor profile(s?). 

Are they all the same sauce with 5 heat levels or are they 5 distinctly different sauces? No idea from your labels. What's the company name? Are they fruit-based? LA-style? Chipotle? Savory? Sweet? Roasted? Fermented? No idea. Is it called "science sauce"?  There's no logo or branding on the front label either, so that's lost too. 

While kind of a nifty graphic, it seems like they would be better suited to adorn the side of the label as a clever heat index for the romance panel, not the only thing on the front panel.

Most people care about the heat level, yes - but with nothing else I think you'll have an uphill battle since consumers generally want to know what they're buying. It might be the best sauce ever, but without any description it's going to be a very difficult sell. 

Just my $0.02
OK, I guess it was critical, but intended as constructive criticism with the intention of helping you. Hopefully taken as such. 

Good luck with your campaign. :cheers: 

Yes I look for flavor 1st and what kind of peppers are in the sauce....then I look to the heat. The label on ur sauces is going to be the 1st thing that draws a customer to examine it. I agree with Lucky Dog The Labels need more work, and more information put on them. That's just what i think personally thou, I'm not seller of hot sauces  I only make for family and friends. Although I do buy TONS of sauces and telling u my opinion from a consumer's point of view.

It's great to be here! Thanks for the feedback Lucky Dog, critical is good and I really appreciate your unvarnished opinion. These are not the final labels, rather draft mock ups for the photos for the campaign and some of your suggestions are addressed on the current versions of the labels. We struggled a lot with the labeling and continue to do so, but for now we've decided that our "science" approach benefits from a simple uncluttered look that gives the salient point (heat) at a glance. It has downsides, and we're working on addressing some of those you point out without ending up with a jumble of text, logos, exhortations, and descriptors.

For background, the sauces are based on various peppers (aji, datil, savina, jolokia, with more detail in the Kickstarter) to create increasing levels of heat and they all share a common backing flavor profile built on vinegar and spices. 5 is a lot of levels and we're exploring reducing that as well, but for now the Kickstarter campaign is set and we're going to deliver 5 levels. We also wanted the labeling to essentially advertise our other products, and the "heat scale" graphic does that. If a consumer comes across one of our sauces, they can see at a glance that there are more to choose from even if the store doesn't carry it. In the future we may branch out into various other types of sauces, and we already have a seasonal sauce that isn't shown and isn't part of the campaign. As far as sauce style, I don't know how to place our sauces beyond a non-fermented workhorse "good on anything except your skin" condiment. Ask my wife, style isn't my strong suit. :)

Keep the comments coming, the venture is just getting rolling and almost everything can be tweaked.

-Jon

jmengel said:
For background, the sauces are based on various peppers (aji, datil, savina, jolokia, with more detail in the Kickstarter) to create increasing levels of heat and they all share a common backing flavor profile built on vinegar and spices. 5 is a lot of levels and we're exploring reducing that as well, but for now the Kickstarter campaign is set and we're going to deliver 5 levels. We also wanted the labeling to essentially advertise our other products, and the "heat scale" graphic does that. If a consumer comes across one of our sauces, they can see at a glance that there are more to choose from even if the store doesn't carry it. In the future we may branch out into various other types of sauces, and we already have a seasonal sauce that isn't shown and isn't part of the campaign. As far as sauce style, I don't know how to place our sauces beyond a non-fermented workhorse "good on anything except your skin" condiment. Ask my wife, style isn't my strong suit. :)

See, I get what you're saying, but what you have to keep in mind is that you will not always be there to explain to the customer any of this. 

And you have to assume that consumers will not take the time to figure anything out - because most will not. You have .5 seconds to capture their attention.

Regarding "sauce style", the answer is simple: tell them. Right now your label doesn't even say "hot sauce" which is a critical flaw. Not telling people it's a Fatali sauce costs you because that should be a selling point. Supporting text can be handled well without clutter. A description on the front that imprints on the prospective consumer immediately "this is a hot sauce made from X pepper in Y style" is absolutely the bare minimum for a front panel. 

The romance panel is where you espouse what it's good on and that your sea salt is hand carried by left-handed vegan dwarfs out of the Himalayas using only albino llamas, etc.

But the front, while "clean" is too clean. If you don't tell people it's hot sauce you've failed.

Again, just my $.02, but hey, what do I know. ;)

KingChile-

Thanks for your feedback as well. One thing I didn't mention on the previous response is that the side panels on the labels have more details on the sauce in addition to the mandated FDA info, UPC, etc. The front is kept spare and uncluttered like a universal laboratory warning sign. The linked photo really over-emphasizes that since they are staggered such that you can't see any of the sides. When the next round of labels gets back from design in a week or so I'll post an example flat so you guys can weigh in. 

We're flavor-centric sauce lovers and built these sauces for flavor, striving to avoid the vinegar and heat pigeonhole. The peppers come through, but not like a single-species puree or ferment. The backing spices combine with the peppers at each level to give each sauce its own variation on a theme. Maybe a bad marketing move, but we're giving it a shot. Worst case we'll fold up like a tent and the current cadre of addicts who have been getting it for free for years will get a case each instead of the customary handful.

-Jon

From a regulatory point of view "Hot Sauce" certainly is required labeling and it is on the latest, front and center. From your comments Lucky Dog I gather you know a fair bit, and I appreciate your taking the time to help us out. Let me round up the latest full label graphics rather than a photo so we can talk specifics about the current state of affairs. Stay tuned.

Suggestion: check out the Business Forums here. There are quite a few label design topics with many hot sauce company owners and industry experts lending advice.  The iterative processes are interesting to see, and you can identify a pretty clear set of "critical requirements" for a label. 

My own labels were a work in progress my 1st 6 months in business, and I tripped over quite a few things as well.  Even with the help of the sharp folks here who were generous enough to lend their feedback, I still made critical mistakes. I've improved since, culminating in winning #1 Label Art and #1 Overall Marketing at this year's Scovie Awards, so I guess that lends a little credibility to my thoughts (though I still wouldn't claim to be a "marketing expert")

I emphasize all of this because it's much better to address these things now, before the labels are stuck to 1000s of bottles. I know that feeling very well - it's a really, really sucky one. It involves hundreds of customers asking you questions that make you go :doh:  and feeling far less clever than you once did when you thought you had a really clever idea to change the way to market a product. The short answer is, you don't. There are standard marketing techniques for a reason: they work. And they don't always = "clutter".  I went through this personally - I thought "I don't need a detailed product description on the front of my bottle - it's all on the romance panel. I want to keep it clean, and color-coded. People will get it!" - and then I had a color blind reviewer, and hundreds of customers who couldn't tell the difference between my sauces from the front label. And it was 100% my fault because I neglected to tell them.  

jmengel said:

One thing I didn't mention on the previous response is that the side panels on the labels have more details on the sauce in addition to the mandated FDA info, UPC, etc. The front is kept spare and uncluttered like a universal laboratory warning sign. The linked photo really over-emphasizes that since they are staggered such that you can't see any of the sides. When the next round of labels gets back from design in a week or so I'll post an example flat so you guys can weigh in. 

Oh, I understood this without explanation, caught the imagery/analogy, and I still think it is a mistake. Being innovative or clever at the expense of putting out an intuitive product is a flaw that I've seen in many failed ventures over the years. "The label so clean it becomes an inside thing that only you or people you explain it to understand."  Not a highly recommended marketing strategy.

Honestly the flat form label version with side panels is not going to help anyone understand anything better - this comes up again and again on the business forum. "well I told them it was hot sauce on the romance panel" or "I say it's a sadistic tropical sauce with mango on the romance panel so that explains the hula girl with the flaming pierced nipples!" - except the front panel is what's visible on a store shelf. And the impression the front panel makes will determine whether a consumer is compelled to pick up and read the side panel or not.. And without even the most basic description (hot sauce, brand name, primary pepper, or basic flavor profile/style), you will have a very, very hard time even getting these on any store shelves, much less getting consumers to pick them up.

I always assume the consumer won't read my side "romance" panel until after they've already purchased the sauce and brought it home. I've seen evidence to support that. I do 6 farmers markets every week, and have for 3+ years now. I watch consumers pick up the bottles. They read the front. Some turn to the nutrition panel. Very very few bother with the romance panel.  Maybe 1% of consumers read the romance panel. And that's at a farmers market where people get more into the things they're purchasing, and mine are the only products in front of them. In the grocery store with a dozen or more hot sauces in front of them, good luck with that. 

jmengel said:
We're flavor-centric sauce lovers and built these sauces for flavor, striving to avoid the vinegar and heat pigeonhole. The peppers come through, but not like a single-species puree or ferment. The backing spices combine with the peppers at each level to give each sauce its own variation on a theme. Maybe a bad marketing move, but we're giving it a shot. Worst case we'll fold up like a tent and the current cadre of addicts who have been getting it for free for years will get a case each instead of the customary handful.

-Jon

Live or die with a bad idea rather than experimenting with some ideas that might better communicate the product to the prospective consumer? Hmm....not a very scientific approach, IMO.  

I dunno - like I said, check the business forum for Bottling, Packaging & Marketing - there's an awful lot of folks much smarter than I am contributing there. Probably worth reading up a little and getting a few ideas for label tweaks.  As-is I don't see you being very successful with your "clean" label idea.  I'm sure folks here will lend their $.02 - some will be helpful, some won't be, but if you can improve even .0001%, isn't that still an improvement? 

Again, all of this is intended as constructive - sorry if I come off as overly harsh/blunt. Sugar coating never helps anyone and I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee. 

I wish you the best of luck with your venture. :cheers:

Ps - I missed that you said you're addressing some of the things I mentioned - I'll look forward to seeing the next revision. Suggest posting on the Bottling/Packaging/Marketing forum & it's a great way to get feedback from a large number of industry experts on your changes. 

Believe me - it's much easier to get constructive criticism now than when your labels are stuck to the bottles. That's a classic "horse out of the barn" scenario. 

Good luck with the venture!

The science angle could be played up, how about laboratory type bottles like the Boston round maybe? And your spices (future product) could be in test tubes.

Also make sure each bottle works individually and not just in a set. For example those icons at the top, individually they may come across as clip-art cheesy looking, whereas in a set, it makes more sense. You can follow the theme but also make sure each one pops and is informative.

:)

Looks great a good luck with your new business!!! Now as a consumer I have to agree with lucky Dog Hot Sauce and say if I was at a festival or my local store those wouldn't get a glance. The labels that pop or tell me quickly what a sauce is about liked SMOKED OR GHOST then any bottle art that is eye catching will get me to stop and read the label. I'm not a vendor but I buy tons of sauces but they've got to grab me first. :)

Good luck again and keep us posted!!! Hope this helps CHEERS

:welcome: Jon!

Thanks for joining THP, and please be assured we all are rooting for your success!  I checked out your Kickstarter and am interested enough to pop on one of the rewards.

The label definitely needs work, which you know, so I won't go into that here.  If/when you want to post a label review....there are some really sharp eyes and people here who can view things and see things us sauce makers are blind to.  I hope you will post labels in a separate forum when the Kickstarter finishes. 

Most sauce people who are buying sauces on the interwhebz rely on descriptions and ingredients lists. A couple of the sauces on the KS didn't have any ingredients other than the peppers.  If you can edit the KS listing that would help.  Even some general descriptions, especially for those of us who have not had any of your many samples.  You are going through the stages just like most of us have, giving away to family and friends.  Hopefully all those folks are kicking in, but for the rest of us, more info on the KS listings would help your sales. 

Ingredient listinngs are also important for allergy concerns...my brother-in-law is deathly allergic to onions.  :crazy: yea, but true.  If someone with a concern doesn't see the ingredients list, they probably won't order.  Hopefully you are up to speed on all the allergy alerts that have to be called out.   

I know you have your sauces set for now, but I think an opportunity was missed by not using Fatalii chiles in the Fatal sauce.  There are soooo many new and exciting chiles beyond Red Savina and bhuts.  But if the sauces are good....nuthing wrong with RS and bhuts. 

Hope you meet your goal! 

Best wishes~
Ann
salsalady

salsalady said:
Thanks for joining THP, and please be assured we all are rooting for your success! 

I second this sentiment - definitely rooting for y'all to be successful.  :cheers: 
One important suggestion that I forgot to add....

Do you have a graphic artist? If you don't, I'd highly recommend finding one. There's a quality to a professionally done label that stands out above and beyond what most non-professionals can achieve on their own. Simply put, home-made labels (almost) always have a home-made look/feel to them.  

It could be the most simple of nuance that puts a label over the top. For example, even with the label above - would a drop-shadow around the image make it pop more? Maybe white isn't the best background color? Could the art benefit from taking more design cues from actual warning labels?  Could the little icons be more detailed or better matched to the sauce labels (e.g. in the 1st, wouldn't a smiley face better represent a mild? and why an "X" for the 2nd heat level?) - and on and on....

This is all just for example purposes....I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong, but all could benefit from being looked at with a talented designer's eye. I am not a graphic artist, but I've worked with several and the work they do is so far beyond what I can even conceive that it's worth every penny you'll invest in their time. 

There are a few who are members here - there are also resources like 99 designs and other places online where people will bid for the opportunity to work with you. I'd start by asking friends/family if anyone knows an experienced graphic artist.  

Looking forward to seeing how the label develops. :cheers: 

Thanks all for the copious feedback and tips. We're doing our best to take it all in from a thousand different directions and at the same time hit our funding goal on Kickstarter. Right now that is taking top billing as our funding trend is flattening out. We need a big last week to hit the $12k goal. It is all or nothing!

Salsalady, the sauces contain onions, which is listed on the ingredients. None of the big "CONTAINS" allergens though (peanuts, etc).

We've worked with a graphic designer in the past but have yet to find a good fit. Once the campaign is over we will have the funds to do more, hopefully. :)

We've also looked into a science type bottle and have plans for that down the road. For the moment, the standard woozy is here to stay until we can justify something custom.

jmengel said:
Thanks all for the copious feedback and tips. We're doing our best to take it all in from a thousand different directions and at the same time hit our funding goal on Kickstarter. Right now that is taking top billing as our funding trend is flattening out. We need a big last week to hit the $12k goal. It is all or nothing!

I know the feeling well - I raised $29K towards my new (to me) delivery truck on Kickstarter - the last week was brutal. 

Of course, the fun part is when you discover that after KS has taken their share, payment processing gets their 5%, the rewards + postage chunk is gone, and after the taxes you'll owe your state for any merchandise sales, you'll end up with just about 30% of the funding, so in your case about $4K. Which isn't really enough to start a company - but it won't hurt.  
;)

In the end it paid for about 40% of my used Transit Connect, which is better than not paying for 40% of my used Transit Connect. And it was fantastic for marketing - hundreds of new customers, loads of media coverage, etc. 

All told it was a good experience - I hope you are successful with the campaign. 

Listen to sir Scott from Lucky Dog. He has a lot of very valid points. Actually every post here does. It is a nice kickstarter campaign and we all are pulling for you to achieve said goal.
Good luck and remember even though you are confident in your labels. Will the consumer be just as confident?

Burns and McCoy said:
Listen to sir Scott from Lucky Dog.

Oh snap, I've been knighted? 
:D

000366356.jpg

Back