• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

new light need help

I just got my new 400w HID light. i think i might be in over my head. i got it set up on a pully system to adjust the distance from my plants.
the plants are curently under a jump start light in my window. at what point would it be a good idea to move them under the HID light i have a metal haloide light in it right now. i did a test run and this light puts off tons of light and tons of heat as well. what temperature should i be shooting for.

IMG_20120217_225152.jpg
IMG_20120219_220807.jpg

You are looking to hit a temperature of around 80-85 degrees. The plants are ready to go under it as soon as they sprout. as long as the light distance is right.

good to hear. im going to run my light for a few hours and see how hot it gets where the peppers would be sitting. thanks

Be careful with that light. It wrecked my whole first planting. Put that beast like 4 or so feet above the seedlings. The larger starts can handle (and thrive) with MH, however, it has been my experience that the MH can really fry those seedlings with their tender leaves. If you start to see purpling on the leaves, it is too close. The leaves will eventually just drop off and you will be fighting to get em to grow.

Start the light HIGH.

Please keep this updated (or start a GLOG, so we can track this).

very funny. if they want to come looking they can if they will eat a scorpion pepper.

MGOLD86 thank you for the advise i just lowered my table so now m light is 3.5 feet from the plants.

A cooltube or an easycool will help you regulate the temperatures easily. Its worth the investment. It prolongs bulb life, protects the fixture, and creates a measure of safety vs exposing the bulb. Push the air over the light, dont pull the heat of the light over the duct fan if you use one. 400 is strong, but a good middle-of-the road. It appears you have a regular open air reflector (htgsupply?). A small fan blowing air over the reflector and plants should do the trick too. You can have heat as long as there is wind and water use will be higher. I would keep the peppers under flouro for at least 2 weeks from sprouting.

Back