• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New member: Potting mix on a budget.....

Hello all,

New member's first post so I'll start with a little background: I live in Birmingham, Alabama and have done a little container gardening on and off for about 6 years. Last year was my first larger project and above all plants growing hot peppers is my favorite. I live in condo style apartments so I have limited back yard space, hence I have to grow in containers. Last year for my hot pepper medium I simply used miracle grow potting mix mixed with a little extra spagnum peat. I planted seedlings from the home depot: jalapenos, red cayennes, jumbo jalapenos, cherry peppers and tabasco chiles. They all did fairly well in that medium, especially the tabasco chiles which really took off in the late summer. My cayennes did the poorest, they fruited nicely but shed all of their leaves about half way through their fruiting.

I have been researching mediums for hot peppers for the past month, and have found that the soil needs to drain well but not too fast, that too much nitrogen can make them grow bushy but stunt the fruiting process, and that this pro mix stuff is supposedly the best. I have also read numerous medium recipes (that no one seems to be able to agree on one being the best). This year will be my first major grow with more variety: golden and red cayennes, habaneros, choc habaneros, big jims, jamaican hots (which may just be another strain of habs? sorry new to this), serranos, jalapenos, and I hope to find some tabasco seedlings again as those did so well. Anyways, I have limited space so composting is not an option, nor is a major medium mix project. Also, this pro mix stuff looks a little too pricey for me. I was considering using basic potting mix like miracle gro (not the organic stuff, heard too much negative feedback) and mix in some pine bark. Anything else I should mix in (calcium, phosphorous?)? Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

I just bought a 3.8 cu ft compressed bale of ProMix BX for $24.55. I'll probably pot up 70-80 3 x 3 x 4 pots at transplant.
At that annual rate, I'm thinking this bale might last me 5+ years, maybe more??

If so, that's pretty reasonable cost for a potting mix that nearly everyone here raves about (almost $5.00 per year).

I'm a first year noob so looked all over for the ProMix as I highly value the consensus on the product and did not want to be an adverturer my first try. I had just about given up. Today while on the way to a town 55 miles away to look, I found it at a local feed and implement dealer just 12 miles from home. :)

I just bought a 3.8 cu ft compressed bale of ProMix BX for $24.55. I'll probably pot up 70-80 3 x 3 x 4 pots at transplant.
At that annual rate, I'm thinking this bale might last me 5+ years, maybe more??

If so, that's pretty reasonable cost for a potting mix that nearly everyone here raves about (almost $5.00 per year).

I'm a first year noob so looked all over for the ProMix as I highly value the consensus on the product and did not want to be an adverturer my first try. I had just about given up. Today while on the way to a town 55 miles away to look, I found it at a local feed and implement dealer just 12 miles from home. :)

Hmmmmm ok. So will I be okay just using ProMix BX as my only container medium? This is a container garden so there will be no transplanting to the ground, they will be in these pots the whole summer (and hopefully fall).

Yup, you can stick with ONLY the Pro Mix. A lot of people do add fertilizers to their Pro Mix. Some will just add it at feeding time. (This is what I do.)
This will probably have opened up a whole CAN of worms on this subject. lol There are a lot of people that each do their own thing. Using Pro Mix will be a GREAT start. It will allow you to try to see what works best for YOU. Try different things, see what works. That would be my BEST advice.

Yup, you can stick with ONLY the Pro Mix. A lot of people do add fertilizers to their Pro Mix. Some will just add it at feeding time. (This is what I do.)
This will probably have opened up a whole CAN of worms on this subject. lol There are a lot of people that each do their own thing. Using Pro Mix will be a GREAT start. It will allow you to try to see what works best for YOU. Try different things, see what works. That would be my BEST advice.

Awesome, thanks! Is ProMix BX the way to go for hot peppers or should I do regular ProMix? (If I can't find ProMix BX, will regular ProMix be ok?)

Back