• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New Mexican seeds

No, not seeds from New Mexico. new seeds from Mexico.
Yep, one of my co workers, Juan and his wife went down to Mexico for Christmas. He remembered me telling him to bring back chili seeds and Long story short, I have 2 new additions to add to the Serranos and the Xalapas. The pepper seeds originated from Jalisco.  They, I am told are a slender elongated pod with a smaller diameter than a Serrano and a little bit longer than the 3 to 4 inch serranos I have been getting. There are remnant flakes in the seed bag from when the processed the pods. the flakes are not big enough to really get a good grasp of the flavor that may be present but the heat makes itself known. Not a crazy hot pepper but a tongue scorcher just the same. And a throat burn you would equate to walking down wind of a smoldering fire. I'll post some pics of the seed later. one is similar in size and shape to those you would recover from a serrano the other is larger and darker. The dark seeds look very similar to Mirasol Guajillo. He couldn't tell me what they are called except Jalisco chilis

DSC00228.JPG

That's great! I hope you can grow them out and let us know what the seeds produce. Maybe they'll be some great new peppers.

I got a better Idea, I will include them in all the seed trains I am involved with. Had it only been a couple days earlier though, coulda threw some in the Choo? Choo? Damn right

CAPCOM said:
I got a better Idea, I will include them in all the seed trains I am involved with. Had it only been a couple days earlier though, coulda threw some in the Choo? Choo? Damn right
What, you got enough to share? You are one lucky man. I almost regret being 3rd in the Wild Train.

Orekoc said:
What, you got enough to share? You are one lucky man. I almost regret being 3rd in the Wild Train.
OH YEAH!! 

May I say that?

Juan's wife was very generous in making sure there was enough seed for myself and many of my fellow chili nuts.

I was able to discus these with him in more detail today and the description of the peppers from the dark seed produce peppers shorter than what I described previously comparing them to serranos. The light colored seed yield pods similar to thai peppers. They are both used dried and raw in making salsa. There is no sweetness in them and in his own words, they really burn his @$$ when he is visiting there. Here is where things really get interesting. He can eat a brown moruga without an issue every day with lunch. When I asked him on a scale 1-10 the brown moruga being 10, where do these peppers rate. He said 8.

Well, seems like some good things never end. Just talked with one of my daughters friends and she is going to ask her grandmother to bring hot pepper seeds when she comes to visit next month from Mexico.

Back