• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Mexico Chilis

I recently stumbled on a recipe for Carne Adovada. It calls for New Mexico Chili peppers. Never heard of it. So, I started my 'homework'.

My wife found a source for dried whole and bought a bag. They run about 6 inches long, typical long tapered peppers. Being whole, all the peppers are still full of seeds. I cut open four and captured the seeds. That's gonna be my next attempt.

Most famous of the New Mexico chilis are the Anaheim variants grown in the Hatch Valley.  Those include Big Jim, Sandia, Ms. Junie, Rattlesnake, Barkers, Lumbres and others.  They are roasted and peeled when green and they are dried when red.  They are typically used to make green or red chili sauces but have lots of other uses.  Additionally most of the native Pueblos in New Mexico have their own landrace variants.  

Harry_Dangler said:
Most famous of the New Mexico chilis are the Anaheim variants grown in the Hatch Valley.  Those include Big Jim, Sandia, Ms. Junie, Rattlesnake, Barkers, Lumbres and others.  They are roasted and peeled when green and they are dried when red.  They are typically used to make green or red chili sauces but have lots of other uses.  Additionally most of the native Pueblos in New Mexico have their own landrace variants.  
I was looking at those today.

If you can't find the right peppers for the recipe feel free to use poblanos, which you should be able to get.

Back