• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New Mexico (Hatch) chili seeds

I've been removing the seeds and placentas from that bag of Hatch chilis my wife bought the other day. I have an estimated several hundred seeds and I'm just getting started on the bag.

I know most of y'all are into the weird and 'glow in the dark' stuff, but if anyone wants some, I'm happy to share. Send me a message and we'll go from there.

We went up to KC today and we stopped at a Whole Foods and they were drum roasting boxes of Hatch chiles right in front of the store.  The smell was terrific. 

We grew Rattlesnake, Hatch Mild and Lumbre this year.  We also grew Negro de Valle and Vallero.  A while ago we drum roasted buckets of green pods from these varieties and then peeled and froze them.  We left a few on the plants to turn red or brown accordingly for drying.  Good stuff. 
BTW:  We also grow weird and glow in the dark stuff!   :cheers:

BrendanPicante said:
Don't forget, there is no actual strain that is a Hatch pepper. Hatch is a growing region, not a pepper type. If you grow seeds from Hatch chile anywhere but the Hatch Valley you are growing a New Mex type of pepper, be it Sandia, Lumber, Big Jim or whatever.

I knew of the "grown in Hatch Valley" to be a "Hatch Chile" but highlighted above perked my interest and  I found this - Chili Pepper Madness-HATCH CHILE PEPPERS: ALL ABOUT THEM ..........................

HOW MANY TYPES OF HATCH PEPPERS ARE THERE?
There are many varieties of Hatch Peppers. Here is a list of some of the most popular:

NuMex Big Jim 
NuMex Sandia
NuMex Joe E. Parker 
New Mexico 6-4
NuMex Heritage 6-4 
NuMex Heritage Big Jim
Barker Extra Hot
NuMex R Naky

Edit: I noticed after I hit Ctrl+V on above that they were all NuMex varieties sio I'm adding This from that web page:
'New Mexican chili pepper pod types were developed starting in 1894. Fabian Garcia from the New Mexico State University crossed several local pod types with a goal of improving them for the region. He sought larger, smoother peppers that were better for canning.

After several years of crossing and growing, he released a variety called New Mexico No. 9 in 1913. All New Mexican chili peppers owe their genetic base to these peppers.' 

BrendanPicante said:
Don't forget, there is no actual strain that is a Hatch pepper. Hatch is a growing region, not a pepper type. If you grow seeds from Hatch chile anywhere but the Hatch Valley you are growing a New Mex type of pepper, be it Sandia, Lumber, Big Jim or whatever.

Sadly, this is true. Even if the seeds are directly from the Hatch region, grown anywhere else they are just sparkling peppers.
j

I've saved a bit of "Hatch" seed and I don't believe there is even a way to know what specific variety a person has even when the plant is grown... with a few exceptions in the case of the larger ones and even then it is just an educated guess. 

Since I like the Anaheim types for specific shape alleles I just rename the seeds (for my own use) and put the location, date and label information of the purchase in my notebooks. This autumn I have sown NewX-1 as an example. These were sold as Hatch chiles at a Harmons. I also took photos of the chiles I purchased but digital info is so ephemeral that I prefer paper and waterproof ink or pencil.

Back