• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

New Orleans Style Hot Tamales

So I'm missing my Manual's Hot Tamales from New Orleans since 1. I'm in Missouri now and 2. They've been closed since Katrina. Well a couple of years ago there were no recipes on the net that I could of that just regular Mexican tamales. Well I finally found a couple of recipes so here's the one I used.

For the Tamales
  • 3 lbs of ground beef (ground chuck)
  • 4 medium sweet yellow onions, quartered
  • 3 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 4 teaspoons coarse-ground kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ cup chili powder
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce (or can of crushed tomatoes)
  • ½ cup water
  • 1½ cups of yellow cornmeal
  • 100 tamale papers
For the Sauce
  • 1 8oz can of tomato sauce (or can of crushed tomatoes)
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • ¼ cup chili powder
  • Salt to taste
  • Freshly cracked black pepper to taste

For the Sauce
  1. Combine all the ingredients in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add seasonings to taste.
  2. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and set aside.
For the Tamales
  1. Put the onions, the seasonings, the tomato sauce, and ½ cup of water in a food processor. Process until the onions are finely chopped.
  2. Place the ground beef in a large glass mixing bowl and pour the seasoned tomato and spice mixture over the meat. Using your hands, mix well.
  3. Place the tamales papers, one at a time and one on top of the other, into a large bowl of water. This step might sound tedious, but it is necessary to prevent the papers from sticking to each other and to ensure that each paper will be completely saturated.
  4. Place cornmeal in a shallow dish and set aside.
  5. Working with about 1 tablespoon of meat at a time, roll it out with your hands into an oblong (cylindrical) shape, then roll in the cornmeal to lightly coat. Wrap each one in a tamale paper, folding over the open ends to completely close in the beef. Repeat this step until all the tamale mixture is gone.
  6. In a large dutch oven or roasting pan, stack the tamales in layers. Each layers should be perpendicular to the layer below it.
  7. Cover the tamales with water, then add the seasoned tomato sauce. Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Check occasionally, and add water as necessary to keep the tamales covered.

2nds:

Back