• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

New P.R. for shortest time to sprout

I'm sprouting some Jalmundos for my brother. They are in 5-inch Jiffy pots, with MG Potting Soil, in full sun all day. To prevent the pots from drying out so fast, I bedded them up in moistened hardwood chips.

I sowed the seeds Sunday before last, and by this Monday one of the pots had a hook! This is a new personal record for me....(The photo below is from yesterday, 8 days after sowing...)

JalmundoSprout.jpg

Nice work Gary. I have had some 7 pods and bhuts germinate in 4 days in July when it is 100 degrees out and humidity 1 million :dance:

I've had Lemon Drop do it in four days under suboptimal conditions, but those just really wanted to live. Sprouted early, at a high rate, and grow fast. Superhots (romy6) that fast seems impressive!

I've had Lemon Drop do it in four days under suboptimal conditions, but those just really wanted to live. Sprouted early, at a high rate, and grow fast. Superhots (romy6) that fast seems impressive!

Nice! Limon is so fun to grow.

I have some of Jamie's Yellow 7 plants growing right now—They are especially vigorous for a chinense.

wind chicken, I had one of ur congo trinidads pop in 2 days after soaking and placing in a jiffy pellet, in a jiffy greenhouse w/ a growing mat also had a peach bhut from AJI Joe pop in 3 under the same conditions, btw thanks again for those seeds really looking forward to that one growing out

Although new to growing peppers, I too have tinkered around with germination time . So far I have not found any miracle procedure to fast gerimination. It appears to me that the type of seed has more to do with germination , given that a proper environment is given to the seeds. I ,myself am more concerned with quality of germination , percentage of sprouts versus amount of seeds planted. My Jalapenos, Anahiems, and Cayennes all spouted in under a week, but the Butch T's , Naga's and 7 pods all took longer . They were all treated pretty much the same way. 84 degrees on a heatmat with good humidity and quality seed starting mix. My fastest are some Trinidad hot cherries and Trinidad seasoning peppers. 4 1/2 days. Slowest were some Bih Jalokia's, about 3 1/2 weeks. So much still to learn though.

I've also had one sprout within one day as well. It was a douglah. I was pretty happy :D
That's amazing, JS! There's nothing quite like the flavor of the Douglah—one of my favorites. Welcome to THP, and good luck with your grow!
wind chicken, I had one of ur congo trinidads pop in 2 days after soaking and placing in a jiffy pellet, in a jiffy greenhouse w/ a growing mat also had a peach bhut from AJI Joe pop in 3 under the same conditions, btw thanks again for those seeds really looking forward to that one growing out
Nice, freak! Thanks for growing my babies! Next year I will be using mats for sure...By the way, I had a Congo in my grits this morning—still feelin' the burn!
Although new to growing peppers, I too have tinkered around with germination time . So far I have not found any miracle procedure to fast gerimination. It appears to me that the type of seed has more to do with germination , given that a proper environment is given to the seeds. I ,myself am more concerned with quality of germination , percentage of sprouts versus amount of seeds planted. My Jalapenos, Anahiems, and Cayennes all spouted in under a week, but the Butch T's , Naga's and 7 pods all took longer . They were all treated pretty much the same way. 84 degrees on a heatmat with good humidity and quality seed starting mix. My fastest are some Trinidad hot cherries and Trinidad seasoning peppers. 4 1/2 days. Slowest were some Bih Jalokia's, about 3 1/2 weeks. So much still to learn though.

You are absolutely right about the variety being the biggest variable affecting germination time, Corene. These "engineered" chiles, especially the ones from the CPI, like the Jalmundo, seem to grow like weeds! Welcome to THP, and good luck with your grow this year!

Update on my seed test (and to further enforce your point, Corene):

NuMex Jalmundo. All six pots are now sprouted (10 days):

Jalmundo1.jpg

Pusa Jwala, THSC (10 days):

Jwala.jpg

Back