New to forums - Growth question

So I've done quite a bit of reading on this site and others. Found a TON of conflicting info on my problem and figured since im new it would probably be best just to post some pictures.

Not only am I new to peppers but I'm new to starting them indoors under a grow light that I literally just purchased. (4x HO 6500k T5 lights http://www.amazon.com/4lamps-DL844s-Fluorescent-Hydroponic-Fixture/dp/B00HEYCRI8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01)

Purpose is purely just to get them started and in good shape for transplant outside. 

My issue is light distance. The lights do run a bit warm but I have a small fan on them. I've read so many different conflicting opinions and its driving me nuts. Anywhere from "as long as the lights aren't touching the plants" to "my lights are ~12 inches off and my plants do fine!"

Anyways I've settled at 4-6 inches but the leaves seem to be folding (no so much a curl). I've read that them doing this at night is normal... but now they seem to be doing it hours into the day as well. I've read this can be caused by too little water, too much, too much heat, too much light, not enough light....  

Just looking for some opinions on how these look and a little more expert advice.

* added info that might help. Currently Have lights on 16 hours a day on a timer and am watering every other day

Photo%20Apr%2020%208%2055%2049%20AM_zps7tcs90l9.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2020%208%2055%2039%20AM_zpsbhvg34cu.jpg

Photo%20Apr%2020%208%2055%2011%20AM_zpsneg5zfzx.jpg

I have that same light set-up and they average around 95 degrees on the ballast surface, and around 90 degrees below.  

T5 HO runs a bit hotter than T8s & T12s.    I would suggest the 6 inch mark as a good place.  I'm going to say that this might be the plants response to drying conditions and heat.   

The heat from this light + the wind is the equivalent of having a 90 degree breezy, dry day. - Minus the benefit of actual full sun. 

The plants are not leggy so it isn't lack of light, and they don't seem to have any yellowing in the veins or browned tips.  So you can rule out too much water.  Fert burn doesn't result in folding like that, but more of a curl effect.   

I tired to explain why I didn't think it was the other things you mentioned.  Of course, each plant is an individual and sometimes they completely throw us for a loop.   BUT that is the fun in gardening, isn't it? 

Yea initially I overwatered and ran into damping off issues. This is round 2 lol. I read online that they need to dry out a bit and "wilt" prior to watering again. Is this what that looks like? The top of the soil is crusty but deeper down is still damp/moist. I really wasn't sure.

I even tested a few by watering them daily and no real change. Has my head spinning but I'm probably just over analyzing it.

i like that you read and tested over/underwatering before you posted... good on you!

what medium / nutrients+schedule?
leaf curl can be from nutrient defficiency / virus(i doubt virus since you are indoors with limited exposure)

everything else you seem to be doing is fine with me.

light distance based on 2 factors:
* heat
if soil / plants get too hot they will wilt. this includes touching the lights which are usually hot and burn the leaves where they touch.
in winter being close raises soil temperature  a few degrees which improves plant health (in winter / cold rooms)

* intensity
if you have relatively weak lights the closer you place the better
if you have HID lights which are very intense you place farther away to get a good spread
because of Inverse square law of light which essentially states farther from the light souce more light spreads, as light spreads it becomes less and less intense.

juanitos said:
i like that you read and tested over/underwatering before you posted... good on you!

what medium / nutrients+schedule?
leaf curl can be from nutrient defficiency / virus(i doubt virus since you are indoors with limited exposure)

everything you seem to be doing is fine with me.

light distance based on 2 factors:
* heat
if soil / plants get too hot they will wilt. this includes touching the lights which are usually hot and burn the leaves where they touch.
in winter being close raises soil temperature  a few degrees which improves plant health (in winter / cold rooms)

* intensity
if you have relatively weak lights the closer you place the better
if you have HID lights which are very intense you place farther away to get a good spread
because of Inverse square law of light which essentially states farther from the light souce more light spreads, as light spreads it becomes less and less intense.

The soil im using is just miracle grow potting soil. I have not added anything other than water. Wasn't sure I would get to that point before needing to move them out to the yard. (target height ~6+ inches)

I had some from the first batch I moved out which curled. I corrected it but they never folded down the middle like these seem to be.

I'll stick with 6 inches on the t5 distance and water a bit more. I'll keep an eye out for the yellowing etc. Maybe up the light duration 2 hours to 18 on and 6 off.

Thanks for the replies! Definitely helps getting everyone to chime in.

That is a decent price for the fixture with lamps.

What brand are the lamps, if you do not mind me asking?

I have 8xT5 lights, and the room is a sauna when I run the whole shebang (I have 3 lights). My plants were wilting like mad, so I shut them down to 4 bulbs each. What a difference! Instead of panting, they can concentrate on growing. LOL

I have mine at around 8", so I think you're safe with 6.

alkhall said:
That is a decent price for the fixture with lamps.

What brand are the lamps, if you do not mind me asking?

I dont see a specific brand other than what was mentioned in the amazon page. "Included in Package: 4ft 4-lamp T5 light-weight grow fixture, Qty4 F54T5HO 6,500 kelvin blue-white veg lamps"

Myxlplyk said:
I have 8xT5 lights, and the room is a sauna when I run the whole shebang (I have 3 lights). My plants were wilting like mad, so I shut them down to 4 bulbs each. What a difference! Instead of panting, they can concentrate on growing. LOL

I have mine at around 8", so I think you're safe with 6.

Nice! Good to know! 

dragonsfire said:
Welcome to the Forum !!

Thank you

seussiii said:

The soil im using is just miracle grow potting soil.

the best thing i ever did for my plants was stop using miracle grow potting soil. it's too dense and holds too much water. switched to promix hp and they LOVE THAT SHIT! :D

seussiii said:

I dont see a specific brand other than what was mentioned in the amazon page. "Included in Package: 4ft 4-lamp T5 light-weight grow fixture, Qty4 F54T5HO 6,500 kelvin blue-white veg lamps"

<SNIP>

I would be suspicious of that.

Any quality lamp manufacturer is going to put their label on their product.

I am not saying you got ripped off, but it is suspect...

alkhall said:

I would be suspicious of that.

Any quality lamp manufacturer is going to put their label on their product.

I am not saying you got ripped off, but it is suspect...

Everyone's making them now. They're like computers used to be... cheap parts, cheap labor, cheap equipment. The three fixtures I got are no-names I picked up for pretty cheap. Quality costs around twice as much. Depends on how much it means to you, I guess.

Back