• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering new to growing super hots, indoor wintering advice

Really im new to growing much of anything, but this year I started growing some Carolina Reapers, not real sure why, but figured give it a go.

Ive got 4 plants that havent done much because I started them fairly late(June-ish).  Ive currently got them in 12 quart pots with Miracle Grow potting soil and about a 1" rock base for water drainage.  Seem to be doing well in these pots and I would like to simply leave them in the pots for winter and transplant in the spring.

I am down in Dallas, TX so I believe I have another 2-3 weeks before I need to bring them inside so time to gather some supplies for over-wintering(which is a term new to me).

Im not trying to break the bank here, im also not trying to do much except keep them alive through the winter.

I work out of town 3-4 days at a time.  Right now I have an auto drip watering setup on them outside that is taking care of them nicely.  I understand they dont need to be watered all that often and now that temps have dropped here in Dallas(mid 80 during day, mid 50's at night) I have cut back to watering them once a day for 5 minutes(which I understand may be to often as is).

So I need a light system and MAYBE an indoor auto watering setup.

I am contemplating this T5HO fixture
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/88849/SUN-960296.html

Or they have a 4 light for like 20 bucks more.

I can build a stand no problem.

Again, not looking to do anything, but keep them alive through the winter.  Getting peppers off of them is not a concern.

As far as watering goes, im thinking after doing a ton of reading, that I can get away with NOT watering them for 3-4 days at a time.  Is that the general consensus with these type of peppers?  Especially indoors in a moderate(mid 60's) temperature environment?

Any and all advice is welcome for this amateur grower and I have learned a ton searching around this site already and it has me ready to get my garden built this winter(new house) and get a ton planted this spring.

Don't use numbers when watering. Just wait for the leaves to droop a little bit, as different plants like different levels of water. Also, if it's only mid 50s at night you don't need to bring them in. Mine do just fine as long as you don't get below 40.

Edit: Welcome to THP.

cruzzfish said:
Don't use numbers when watering. Just wait for the leaves to droop a little bit, as different plants like different levels of water. Also, if it's only mid 50s at night you don't need to bring them in. Mine do just fine as long as you don't get below 40.

Edit: Welcome to THP.

when I am gone for 4 days, I would rather have them get water then not when outside in the hot texas sun(had been in the upper 90's).  When I first moved down here(about 2 months ago) I didnt have the auto drip setup and figured they could go 3-4 days in between watering, but when I got back they were all wilted badly and I thought I had killed them.  A few days of water got them going again.  Its a very low drip and I timed it to stop just as water was starting to seep out the bottom of the pot.  Again, probably AM over watering them, but so far they havent suffered any great consequence that I can tell vs. the 3 or 4 day period that they didnt get any water.

And as far as the outdoor low temp, like I said, I think I have 2-3 weeks(probably more) before it is getting into the low 40's at night and they will need to be brought in, hence the post looking for advice on indoor lighting and watering setup(if the watering setup is needed at all) so I will be ready to go when it is time to bring them in.

Thanks for the welcome.  I have a lot of research to do for next years growing season.

Welcome. There's a lot of trial and error to growing. What ya learn each season will help ya along. Use the Farmers Almanac as a suggestion as to when to start planting next year. Also read up on the pinned area in the growing section of THP. Good luck

rjacobs said:

when I am gone for 4 days, I would rather have them get water then not when outside in the hot texas sun(had been in the upper 90's).  When I first moved down here(about 2 months ago) I didnt have the auto drip setup and figured they could go 3-4 days in between watering, but when I got back they were all wilted badly and I thought I had killed them.  A few days of water got them going again.  Its a very low drip and I timed it to stop just as water was starting to seep out the bottom of the pot.  Again, probably AM over watering them, but so far they havent suffered any great consequence that I can tell vs. the 3 or 4 day period that they didnt get any water.

And as far as the outdoor low temp, like I said, I think I have 2-3 weeks(probably more) before it is getting into the low 40's at night and they will need to be brought in, hence the post looking for advice on indoor lighting and watering setup(if the watering setup is needed at all) so I will be ready to go when it is time to bring them in.

Thanks for the welcome.  I have a lot of research to do for next years growing season.
If you're going away, I'd water them, but if you're around it;s best to just water them when they seem like they need it. How cold does it actually get in Dallas, because if it's just low 40s they might well be fine. Something to note with indoors though is that they will go a lot longer with no water. Mine get watered once every week and a half when inside, every few days when out.

cruzzfish said:
If you're going away, I'd water them, but if you're around it;s best to just water them when they seem like they need it. How cold does it actually get in Dallas, because if it's just low 40s they might well be fine. Something to note with indoors though is that they will go a lot longer with no water. Mine get watered once every week and a half when inside, every few days when out.

Dallas will get down to freezing and below and does tend to get ice storms.  I know a few thanksgivings ago there was snow and ice in Dallas for a few days.  I am sure it gets below freezing at night plenty.  I will be bringing them inside, I dont want to risk it.

Im thinking inside they will be fine without water for a few days so I will most likely skip the auto watering system, I know outside in the 100+ heat it was no good though without water every day.  At most anyway it would be 2-3 days that I couldnt water if I needed to because I can water the morning I leave and water the evening I arrive back home.

Any thoughts on the light I posted above?  Or a 4 lamp model?  I would also use this for seed starting in the spring.  I cant really swing a 400-500 dollar light right now.

rjacobs said:

Dallas will get down to freezing and below and does tend to get ice storms.  I know a few thanksgivings ago there was snow and ice in Dallas for a few days.  I am sure it gets below freezing at night plenty.  I will be bringing them inside, I dont want to risk it.

Im thinking inside they will be fine without water for a few days so I will most likely skip the auto watering system, I know outside in the 100+ heat it was no good though without water every day.  At most anyway it would be 2-3 days that I couldnt water if I needed to because I can water the morning I leave and water the evening I arrive back home.

Any thoughts on the light I posted above?  Or a 4 lamp model?  I would also use this for seed starting in the spring.  I cant really swing a 400-500 dollar light right now.
I use very similar lights, so those should be good. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't tell you the brand today, but I'll let you know soon. Autowatering in the winter is generally a bad idea because it can cause fungi if it doesn't dry out, but you're definitely right about the summer. All in all, everything seems good.

Sounds good.  I found a local hydroponics shop that sells several of the same lights that the website posted above sells for not really much more money(20 bucks) so I will most likely buy local.

rjacobs said:
Sounds good.  I found a local hydroponics shop that sells several of the same lights that the website posted above sells for not really much more money(20 bucks) so I will most likely buy local.

i'm the same, if you can get a really good deal online sure, maybe....... but all it takes is one little issue and any savings are lost in shipping etc.

sevenstrings said:
Get the 4' 4 bulb as a minimum.

I love sunblaze lights, I have many and they work great.

Im actually leaning away from the sunblaze and towards the Hydro Farm FLP44.  1000bulbs has the price difference about 40 bucks($107 for sunblaze vs. $147 for hydrofarm), but my local place has them both for the same price($159) so I am leaning towards going for the hydrofarm since I think its possibly a better product(although I honestly have no clue).  That is IF I decide to stay local and support my local economy, which I think I am willing to spend a little more money to do that.

I love sunblaze products. The quantum badboy lights are awesome as well. You can get the Quantum Badboy T5HO 4' 8 bulb for around $199.

Back