New to Hot Peppers

hello all,

I'm new to growing hot peppers, I built myself a 3ft x 8ft x 2ft deep planter, I put a greenhouse on top to help with the high temps and keep the heat in during the nights.

I filled it with just plain top soil, I had some success with Jalapenos. I had a Carolina Reaper, 2 Bhut Jalokia's, Naga Morich X Reaper and 2 Jalapeno's. no luck with the super hots, just the Jalapenos.

I'm curious to what I can put into the soil this year to help bump up my crop this year. Adding Habs and Cayennes this year.

Could I mix in the ashes from my firepit?

looking forward to the input,

Thanks I advance!

Lots of worm castings and perlite (or crushed pumice). That'll be a good start. From there, maybe some compost.

Yes, you can use ash and small left-over coals; they hold nutrients really well, but it will not be a huge overall difference.

Oh, and welcome!

i'm washing/collecting eggshells under my sink to crush and turn into my raised beds.
i know its not an immediate boost but i'm hoping it'll be a boon in the long run.

mrgrowguy said:
Lots of worm castings and perlite (or crushed pumice). That'll be a good start. From there, maybe some compost.

Yes, you can use ash and small left-over coals; they hold nutrients really well, but it will not be a huge overall difference.

Oh, and welcome!

Masher

Posted Today, 12:58 PM

Make sure that ash is from good clean wood source  ;)

Welcome to THP  :welcome:

thanks guys! appreciate the welcomes

My wood Source is clean, I work at a sawmill and get 1ft trimmings for firewood, everything is Kiln dried no chemicals.

for the worm castings and perlite... how many bags would one recommend?

I'm looking forward to making more Habanero shakers!  and my wife is starting to enjoy hot peppers too!

Reaper 1 said:

for the worm castings and perlite... how many bags would one recommend?

Maybe 3 large bags (4-6 cu ft or so) of castings and roughly the same of the perlite. Just a rough guess though, based on your size. I'm sure you could even add more than that and be even better off.

I'm not sure that it's possible to use too much worm castings... Just be sure your soil drains well.

mrgrowguy said:

Maybe 3 large bags (4-6 cu ft or so) of castings and roughly the same of the perlite. Just a rough guess though, based on your size. I'm sure you could even add more than that and be even better off.

I'm not sure that it's possible to use too much worm castings... Just be sure your soil drains well.
Awesome! Thanks Mr. growguy!

HAHA, and I thought it was chilly here at +65f durign the day (about 43f at night)... I still have pepper plants flowering in my front yard right now. LOL, sorry, not trying to rub it in :halo:

I can't wait for summer time to roll around again! Start work on replacing the plastic on my greenhouse, got so cold it shrank and split....

Again thanks for advice guys

dragonsfire said:
Welcome to the Forum !! :)
Start seeds inside, nows a good time :)
Got a couple germinating now, have a few plants left over from last summer, they where late coming and I managed to get them into 4" pots and 500ml yogurt containers

Back