• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling New to pickling

Garlic turning blue is normal. Happens to me every year.

If you want to pickle them whole(I did habaneros this way last year)Poke a bunch of holes.

I think the biggest thing is to have everything perfectly spotless and clean, and your brining liquid very hot.

I never eat any pickles sooner than two weeks.

Yeah they definitely need to sit for a couple of weeks...

What kind of salt did you use? If it wasn't pickling salt, the anti caking agents found in most other types of salt might have caused that blue color.

I used Morton's canning/pickling salt along with the Ball pickle crisp (calcium chloride).

Joyners, those cucumber look awesome. Would you mind posting a recipe? I'd definitely like to give them a shot.

I used Morton's canning/pickling salt along with the Ball pickle crisp (calcium chloride).

Joyners, those cucumber look awesome. Would you mind posting a recipe? I'd definitely like to give them a shot.
If I wasn't getting begged to sell them I would happily post the recipe. Right now they are in very high demand and I am going to proper 'can' them to see if anything changes. I'll let you know if I post the recipe.

good thread...one thing I will mention that I have not seen is that pressure canning makes your pickles mushy....waterbath canning is the best way...

if you are just getting into preserving....do yourself a favor and go get one of these...everything you wanted to know about home preserving, actually more than you ever want to know :)

http://www.christian...CFSZjTAodaxIAcQ

Edit: I just typed in "Ball's Book of Home Canning" and this came up...you may be able to get it cheaper on amazon

@AJ, Pressure canning ruins pickles? I am about to do a bunch of my Thai cucumber salad and bought a pressure caner. I'll hate to ruin them. :( Maybe I'll test with one small jar first.

Back