• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

New to the community and growing super hots

Well hey there folks. Just wanted to post and say hello and share a little with you.
Last year I had my first vegi garden, the wife likes her tomatoes and cucumbers, where I enjoy peppers, lots and lots of peppers. So justifiably, this year my main focus is on my peppers as I do the gardening and the cooking. She does... Well the laundry after the days in the garden HAHAHA. So this year I started my plants indoors, last year I started very late in the season, did not have a great yield due to the late start, but nevertheless we enjoyed our garden. Here's my current situation. I started Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and Ghosts in your every day $5 pod kits, mixed my own seed starting mix and went at it. A couple days ago I transplanted them into a rack I made with solo cups and some left over lumber. The soil was 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 potting soil. They seem to be doing well. Most have their 3rd or 4th sets of true leaves (I trimmed off the seed leaves as suggested by another grower) and buried them almost to the rim of the cups. Being my first time growing these, when can I begin to see my first sign of flowering, should I top them at a certain point and did I start them to early seeing as I am in western NY, they won't be outdoors until late april to mid may possibly. Thanks and have a great day.
Will add photos when I figure out how.

Blitz527 said:
Well hey there folks. Just wanted to post and say hello and share a little with you.
Last year I had my first vegi garden, the wife likes her tomatoes and cucumbers, where I enjoy peppers, lots and lots of peppers. So justifiably, this year my main focus is on my peppers as I do the gardening and the cooking. She does... Well the laundry after the days in the garden HAHAHA. So this year I started my plants indoors, last year I started very late in the season, did not have a great yield due to the late start, but nevertheless we enjoyed our garden. Here's my current situation. I started Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and Ghosts in your every day $5 pod kits, mixed my own seed starting mix and went at it. A couple days ago I transplanted them into a rack I made with solo cups and some left over lumber. The soil was 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 potting soil. They seem to be doing well. Most have their 3rd or 4th sets of true leaves (I trimmed off the seed leaves as suggested by another grower) and buried them almost to the rim of the cups. Being my first time growing these, when can I begin to see my first sign of flowering, should I top them at a certain point and did I start them to early seeing as I am in western NY, they won't be outdoors until late april to mid may possibly. Thanks and have a great day.
Will add photos when I figure out how.
great to have you here. If your going to grow in the ground when they go outside I would top them. They will turn into pepper bushes 4x larger than a container.

karoo said:
:welcome:

Quote;  I started Carolina Reapers, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and Ghosts

Talk about starting with a bang.!
Go big or go home right?? Most fun part is none of the pepper seeds I've started are bought. I saved them from peppers I had got from farm stands, grocery stores or peppers I grew last year. For example, I grew 6 habs last year, and since I started so late I did not see much of a yield. But I saved the seeds and planted 10 this year and they are growing very well. I am between 80 and 90% germination which I am surprised about. I was also surprised by how quickly the reapers and scorpions started, 5-7 days.... Anyone else have results like this? What was your method and starting mix? How about conditions?

Welcome, Blitz. Nice to see your great germination and enthusiasm! You'll love these guys and their great knowledge about growing, cooking with peppers.

Welcome Blitz, I had a pretty quick germination rate on reapers and ghosts just using the paper towel and zip lock method. My seedling mix was coco and General Hydroponics nutes under a light and fan for a month or two and then I transfer to potting soil outside and I switch to some locally produced fertilizer. Been working really good for me so far.

NickT said:
Welcome Blitz, I had a pretty quick germination rate on reapers and ghosts just using the paper towel and zip lock method. My seedling mix was coco and General Hydroponics nutes under a light and fan for a month or two and then I transfer to potting soil outside and I switch to some locally produced fertilizer. Been working really good for me so far.
Nick, thank you. I used warm distilled water, paper towels and bags for a couple days, then planted in a 1/2 seed starting soil with 1/2 perlite. Seemed to work great. Like I said, had 80-90% successful germination. They are all in solo cups now with my potting mix until they can go outside. I did not mention I am having good luck with a t5 coral light too. It's a blue/green phase light, 4' long. Am I able to post pics? If so I'd like to know how so I can put a couple pics up.

Lets see if this works. This is my set up so far.
IMG_20170221_7943_zpskallxbmv.jpg
IMG_20170221_7420_zpsbq0t7ejw.jpg

IMG_20170221_8481_zpsun9q233u.jpg
IMG_20170221_50280_zpsbontrr90.jpg

IMG_20170221_8968_zps1axy6ch2.jpg
IMG_20170221_6899_zpszkdfj8dx.jpg

Back