• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbees Here :-)

Newbees here :-) Ok, heat mat, temp regulator, I'm a patient wife...what next??? It's mid June here in Victoria Texas. What kind of seeds can we plant (we want a challenge, we can get all the jalapeno, seranos, habaneros we want at HEB) and expect to survive? We would love to plant Scotch Bonnets or something different. Oh, don't forget the type of soil we need. We have a home depot & lowes. Hope I didn't forget anything. This is Jim's father's day present. He doesn't know I hacked his account. Why is Shiner Bock Beer so essential when eating hot peppers???? Happy Fathers Day you all!!! :fire:

For seedling mix i would go with Junglerains mix or something similar.
Obviously scale down if you are not planting many seeds.

40 cups of Amgrow seedling potting mix from bunnings
10 cups Worm Castings
10 cups of coconut coir
5 cups of vermicular

As for what you can grow i can't really help you out there as i am not from Texas and not sure how long you have left in your growing season. Don't forget to pick up some jiffy pellets and some cheap plastic cups, they always come in handy. Oh and a case of beer, beer goes with anything! :D

I really doubt if you will get any production from any of the superhots starting from seed this late in the season...it takes them at least 6 months here in Texas to mature and produce...

If you want fast growing varieties, you want annuum species...

Super Chili

Any kind of Thai pepper (although I like the orange thai best)

Cayennes - many varieties are available but the Super Cayenne II hybrid is a massive producer that will give you pods in 3-4 months..

I am sure others will chime in and give their opinion..

by the way, welcome from Fort Worth...

Welcome!!! you could get them started now and keep them in small pots till next year, then as soon as next year arrives, get them in bigger pots so you will get early harvest!!!!

While your deciding what to grow have a look at a Texas seed supplier that we all love. Beth, her seeds are excellent quality and quick delivery. Her site has the varieties divided by species as AJ suggested stick with the annuums for this year. Good luck and Welcome. Great Father's day gift!

Mike

http://www.peppermania.com/chile_seeds.html

Serrano's tend to grow pretty fast too once you get past the first hump of them to start splitting and branching off.

But thai hots and super chili's are quick too. Last year my thai's were BY FAR the first to produce.

Soil mix depends on how involved you want to get. If you're not wanting to get too involved, then just go to a local nursery and get their soil mixes. Do all you can to avoid Miracle Gro or other Scott's soil mixes. Peppers don't do all that well in them.

Second the posts on annuums this late in the year, and on peppermania as a seed source. Beth is a quality seller and will hook you up.

I've got some super chillies and cayennes on the go at the moment and they're speeding along, showing signs of flowering really early (I've been pinching the buds as the plants are only 4 inches tall).
As said before any annums would be your best bet at this time in the year :)

Thanks for the replies. I'll take your advice for action. I "tried" to start some seeds the old fashioned way with not so good results. But I'm determined. After some serious reading and my wifes encouragement I've decided to put together a germination box. After sifting thru the forums, I've settled on one that I think will do the job. I live in an apartment and have limited space. Anyways, stay tuned. More to follow.

:)
What do you want to do with the peppers, mostly? Don't say eat them :P
I do a lot of cooking with peppers, can my own hot sauces, salsa's and relish. Different things. Problem is there is a limited variety of peppers at the local markets. Plus I like growing things such as horseradish etc. I've never tried to do much from seeds. :)

What about Early Jalapeno? Heck, even my normal Jalapenos are quick to grow and produce!

Another pepper you may want to consider is Kung Pao. Along with my Jalapenos, they were one of the first to produce for me last season and were quite the producers indeed. ;)

Back