artwork Newbie here trying to start own hot sauce business

Hello everyone! 

I am new to this site and the world of hot sauce businesses. 

I am currently trying to start my own hot sauce business in Los Angeles and wanted to see if members of this website can help me out.

I have done some research and still kind of lost. What are the steps required to start a hot sauce business? I honestly want to start small and sell locally at fairs and markets but it seems I can't just make my sauces at home, bottle it and sell it. From what I know, I either need to rent a commercial kitchen or hire a co-packer. What licenses are required of me whether i rent a commercial kitchen or hire a co packer? 

Hope people can leave their expert advice and suggestions. Thank you!

:welcome:

There are a lot of relevant topics in The Food Business forum.

Good luck on your venture.
salsalady

RP007 said:
Hello everyone! 

I am new to this site and the world of hot sauce businesses. 

I am currently trying to start my own hot sauce business in Los Angeles and wanted to see if members of this website can help me out.

I have done some research and still kind of lost. What are the steps required to start a hot sauce business? I honestly want to start small and sell locally at fairs and markets but it seems I can't just make my sauces at home, bottle it and sell it. From what I know, I either need to rent a commercial kitchen or hire a co-packer. What licenses are required of me whether i rent a commercial kitchen or hire a co packer? 

Hope people can leave their expert advice and suggestions. Thank you!

You need to check with your local heath department and  license department.Each state and county is different.Some states and county's will let you use a room set up as an commercial kitchen in your home. ;) If it was me,I would see if someone would let me work with them.Then you could learn from them ,the do's and don't's.I would do it for free and lean it all.Then you can make the money with the knowledge you gained. :shh:   

Back