• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbie needing advice

I live in WA and my plants are still small most are about 4" tall with some at about 6"-8". I'm pretty sure it's because I don't have enough light. The weather is still to cold (currently mid 60's day and low 50's overnight) from what I read to put them outside. With our short grow season here I'm afraid I'm not going to get any peppers before fall any advice?

Here is a link to my local weather if you need to be more precise.
http://www.kptv.com/weather/index.html

Any advice is much appreciated

Looks like you're gonna have to keep them inside for a while. Do you have grow lights? you'll have to use that til the weather gets to the 80s in your region.

I suggest you get larger pots and grow them indoors til the weather gets warmer.

I don't have any bigger pots that will fit under my light. I just have the 3-7 Gal. pots I plan on transplanting to outside. There in 4" pots under the light now. Also should I leave my heat mat at 75F or should I start slowly turning it down to something closer to the soil temp out side

Welcome to THP! I live just "up the road" near Tacoma. Go ahead and take them off of the heating pads, they really were not needed after germination. I have mine outside now, but I am impatiently waiting for the weather to get better so they will begin growing again. How about some pics of your babies?

RS67Man are yours doing good outside? As in not showing to much stress? No wilting or dropping leaves? And I have them on the heat mat cause there in the garage witch is warmer then outside but not as warm as in the house. No pics right now gotta barrow a cam and I'll post some pics of my babies.

When the conditions are cool like it has been, it slows growth down. As long as there is no frost they will be OK. My plants are growing very slowly right now, but once it does warm up they should really take off. I just transplanted them in a new raised bed today where they will spend the summer. They have been outside in pots for over 3 weeks.

000_0140.jpg

hey WAdave~

there are many seasoned growers here who can help with specifics. I just wanted to give a RaaRaaa for growing in the NW and possibly suggest...utilize whatever you can to help with heat for the peppers. Plant along side a building face or use a fence ...

Coastal Northwest is notorious for it's weather so be as creative as you can to harvest as much heat for as long as you can for the growing season.

All the best~~~

SL

Hey there Dave
When you say your grow season is short, how short do you mean?
Depending on the type of chilli plants you have it may not be a serious problem.
Anyway one of the best tips anyone can give you is to start your season really early and keep them growing under lights until the weather gets better.

THe only advice i can give you is its better to wait for the weather than push it. I'll be paying this year for putting my guys out to early, they rebounded but the damage was done

Back