• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbie question about light for habneros

Hi all !

All right first question, i'm trying to grow some red caribbean habaneros, now my setup is pretty amateur at best but it still works, i only use a 40 watt ordinary bulb on them 24 hours a day, i read that it would be enough on some site. I have 5 now that are about 2 inches long and about to grow their second set of leafs.

What would be a good light (and please no 500$ system) to use ?

Thanks

Pat

I use $10 dual bulb shop lights from Lowes with 2 fluorescent bulbs from Lowes. I have different bulbs from 2500k to 9500k all bight at Lowes for $10 or less. Worked great and didn't break the bank. Stay away from incandescence bulbs. They don't put out the right light spectrum and waste energy.

For a cheap idea search this site for "CFL." Get rid of the incandescent and get either multiply smaller watt CFLs or a big watt CFL....

Don't keep them on 24 hours a day. Plants also need to go through their "dark cycle" in order to grow properly. Try 20 hours a day max if you have a timer.

Don't keep them on 24 hours a day. Plants also need to go through their "dark cycle" in order to grow properly. Try 20 hours a day max if you have a timer.

Not true. A few threads, with pictures and studies about 24/7 lighting on this forum

Mike

24 hours for vegetative growth is fine, but some may use 18 as they believe the dark cycle is important (like myself).
As for the light, standard incandescent bulbs emit too much heat, and not enough light. Furthermore, it is the "wrong" spectrum of light suitable for plant development.
Standard CFL's will generally be better but are still not ideal for later stages of growth as the lumen output is not very high (you will have skinny stemmed, weaker plants) You also may need to provide some heat depending on your climate.

The ideal bulbs are either HPS (High Pressure Sodium), or Metal Halide. These bulbs however, are sometimes expensive to run, and can be VERY VERY hot. (But worth it if you want to go all out).

Alternatively (this may be the best option), you can use CFL's that are suited to growing plants like the one below. They will give you the most bang for your buck if HPS, or Metal Halide are a bit expensive/over the top for your purposes.

These CFL's can also be purchased in pairs, with one bulb for vegetative growth, and one for flowering. (Different light spectrums).

125redFeliz8.jpg

I use $10 dual bulb shop lights from Lowes with 2 fluorescent bulbs from Lowes. I have different bulbs from 2500k to 9500k all bight at Lowes for $10 or less. Worked great and didn't break the bank. Stay away from incandescence bulbs. They don't put out the right light spectrum and waste energy.

nice info
i need more info :)
what is the K rating for pepper to photosintesis process?
i read some where that the K rating should be 6000K to 14000K but this rating is general plant

any one tried 865 lamp? because difficult to find more than 6500K in ordinary electrical shop in my country :(

thx in advance

I always use cheap floro lights and have great success but I'm only starting plants, not growing indoors. Do you plan to keep them growing indoors?

Thanks for all the answers ! I will grow outdoor as soon as the weather permits it, and that would be in June around here when it gets around 20 celsius (68F) but then again i'm not sure if that's hot enough...

Back