• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

newbie ?'shaha, Red Savina

Hello all!

I have always been a lover of spicy foods, I actually make my own habanero hot sauce at home, and it's all I use for everything, best stuff I've ever had. I've been wanting to go hotter though. The variety I've been using has been the run-of-the-mill (Orange Habanero) kind, but not quite getting the heat I've been looking for. I have ordered some Red Savina Habanero seeds (2nd hottest in the world)(Bhut Jolokias sold out right now), and have already done extensive research on cultivating my own little mini pepper farm.

From all the research I've done, and all the specifics I have received, I am led to believe that Habaneros are not exactly as sturdy as other Chile plants, and most Capsicum Chinense variety are harder to grow. Now the seeds I have ordered are much more expensive than just any pepper seed, and I want to make sure everything is right, but I'm also going to need a LOT of peppers, so I want to make sure I have a large yield per plant, as well as ensuring they hit close to their peak of 577,000 SHU. (that statement may sound weird, but it has been recorded that even New Mexico State U Chile Institute was only able to reach 200,000SHU with Red Savinas, 1/3 of their potential)

So my 1st 3 questions for helpful gardeners(as I'm sure there will be many more):
1)is it true that Capsicum Chinense are tough to grow to their full ability?

2)In my busy lifestyle (and inexperience with plants as I have killed many), the watering regiment...: soil should never be dry, but never soggy, ....has anyone used the "watering globes" do they work well?

3)Using extra nutrients....I've heard to go easy on the nitrogen, use a NPK like 6-10-10 ratio or something I can find close to it....But I've also red the opposite. I'm sure this could effect the SHU a lot. I've been told using too much Nitrogen will yield large leaves, large plants, and small fruit. But then I've also guessed that small fruit is hotter.....also heard for hotter fruit to slightly stress the plant(stop watering it) a week or so before harvest time......any input?

4)Any other tips or hints would be LOVELY

hotenuff4u said:
Hello all!

I have always been a lover of spicy foods, I actually make my own habanero hot sauce at home, and it's all I use for everything, best stuff I've ever had. I've been wanting to go hotter though. The variety I've been using has been the run-of-the-mill (Orange Habanero) kind, but not quite getting the heat I've been looking for. I have ordered some Red Savina Habanero seeds (2nd hottest in the world)(Bhut Jolokias sold out right now), and have already done extensive research on cultivating my own little mini pepper farm.

From all the research I've done, and all the specifics I have received, I am led to believe that Habaneros are not exactly as sturdy as other Chile plants, and most Capsicum Chinense variety are harder to grow. Now the seeds I have ordered are much more expensive than just any pepper seed, and I want to make sure everything is right, but I'm also going to need a LOT of peppers, so I want to make sure I have a large yield per plant, as well as ensuring they hit close to their peak of 577,000 SHU. (that statement may sound weird, but it has been recorded that even New Mexico State U Chile Institute was only able to reach 200,000SHU with Red Savinas, 1/3 of their potential)

So my 1st 3 questions for helpful gardeners(as I'm sure there will be many more):
1)is it true that Capsicum Chinense are tough to grow to their full ability?

2)In my busy lifestyle (and inexperience with plants as I have killed many), the watering regiment...: soil should never be dry, but never soggy, ....has anyone used the "watering globes" do they work well?

3)Using extra nutrients....I've heard to go easy on the nitrogen, use a NPK like 6-10-10 ratio or something I can find close to it....But I've also red the opposite. I'm sure this could effect the SHU a lot. I've been told using too much Nitrogen will yield large leaves, large plants, and small fruit. But then I've also guessed that small fruit is hotter.....also heard for hotter fruit to slightly stress the plant(stop watering it) a week or so before harvest time......any input?

4)Any other tips or hints would be LOVELY

Most Chinense plants are very bushy, and sturdy while others tend to be leggy and viny. I think this goes as an advantage to the grower.

Chinense's also are great potted plants grown either full or part time indoors (I start off indoors early then put outside).

The hardest part is getting the seeds to germinate, you have to put them in a warm moist enviorment and then sit on your ass for two to four weeks. Once they germinate either in soil or something else, then moved to soil, they are like weeds!

Once they are alive and growing, just make sure to only water them when they need it (wilting, dry soil) and to water deeply (if growing in pots) to make sure you flush out mineral buildup.

I feed only when they look like they need it, or when they are fruiting.

As long as you dont go overboard with watering and feeding, and give them a good sunny enviorment they pretty much take care of themselfs.

Good luck!

Get a heated mat from your hydroponics/warehouse store, or keep the seed tray in a warm place, ie on top of your fridge or on top of a computer monitor. ~27*C 80*F is ideal for getting them to germinate. This goes for most plant seeds, not just Chillis.

The trick is to not over water, the bigger the pot the more water it holds - the longer it takes to dry out, roots need to breathe oxygen, overwater and the leaves will usually curl into themselves and/or go yellow.

Don't use to much fertiliser to begin with, but from my experience, using good quality potting mix + fertiliser really speeds things up, having bought some mature plants off a fellow forum member, the growth when I fed them and changed them into good mix (from normal soil) was really a sight to behold. Wait until they get their first true leaves (after the seed leaves) and use some watered down solution, then up the strength over the following weeks as the plant gets bigger.

Chillis are not like Pot where you harvest the whole plant at once, you will harvest the fruit while other fruit are still ripening. Don't pick the fruit too early (when it just turns ripe) as it will still be immature and not it's full strength of hotness.

There is a research article on the Wikipedia entry for Nagas, saying a humid environment vs a dry environment, the fruit will be twice as hot in a humid environment rather than a dry one, so it might be worth your while to build a little green house around your plants.

To greenhouse single plants, I use metal mesh bought from the hardware store, fold it to size then cover it with gladwrap. It works well and holds up to the sun (so far).

In all honesty it is not that hard to grow Superhots, especially Savinas. When the seeds are kept warm and moist, they should sprout in within a week or two, unlike the Nagas ... :D Cover your seedling tray with something to keep the moisture in, that way you don't have to worry about the heat or water escaping.

Strong light + right humidity + right temperatures + enough food (fertiliser) = strong plants with a lot of fruit.

thanx

Heck ya,

some great answers there guys, really appreciate your help!!!

I like the mini greenhouse, definitely going to try that!

When germinating, have you guys had experience with the chamomile tea method, do you think it really speeds things up?

And on the fertilizer, should I go with an even NPK or was I correct on holding back with a slightly lower "N" value?

Hello Mate and welcome to this wonderful corner of the net...

Ok First of all.......Red savina.....Not the second hottest chilli in the world......I wouldn't even think it's in the top 5 anymore...

You want great/stupid heat and 10/10 for flavour as well then go a naga morich or 7 pot.....or trinidad scorpian.....All 3 will blow your head off if you think the red savina is hot....Or something like the fatalii or devils tounge for a really unique flavour

It's ok for the plant to be dry......Chiilis work well with the saying "you need to be cruel to be kind"....As was already said, only water them every few days depending on the temps and give them a good soaking......make sure your soil is very well draining, or you could have some problems.....

And holding back on the 'N' is always a good idea.....ecspecially in the flowering stage....

Great info posted so far. I had several of my about to ask questions answered here although I couldn't find info using the search. I had 1 silly question though. How many seeds do you use per square? I want to get a 72 cell trays and wasn't sure if I should just put 1 seed per cell or put 2-3 per cell?

LGHT said:
Great info posted so far. I had several of my about to ask questions answered here although I couldn't find info using the search. I had 1 silly question though. How many seeds do you use per square? I want to get a 72 cell trays and wasn't sure if I should just put 1 seed per cell or put 2-3 per cell?

Thats a personal choice. 2-3 improve probability of germination and reduces chance of wasting seed starting media, but you potentially waste 2 seeds.

Other choice is you don't waste any seeds but may only have 60 out of 72 sprout. Or they all may sprout.

Personally, i germinate the seeds in a paper towel and then only plant the ones that sprout. This works for me, but I'm not planting 72 plants.

I'd say if you got enough seeds why the hell not? Just be sure to cull the weakest two.

Txclosetgrower said:
Thats a personal choice. 2-3 improve probability of germination and reduces chance of wasting seed starting media, but you potentially waste 2 seeds.

Other choice is you don't waste any seeds but may only have 60 out of 72 sprout. Or they all may sprout.

Personally, i germinate the seeds in a paper towel and then only plant the ones that sprout. This works for me, but I'm not planting 72 plants.

I'd say if you got enough seeds why the hell not? Just be sure to cull the weakest two.

Well I ordered about 12 variations of seeds and each package has 10-15 total seeds so I have more than enough. I'm not sure if I will plant them all up or not, but I guess I could do 72 and when they get big enough to transplant do the rest at 2 per pod? When you say cull do you mean move to a small pot or just throw out the small one?

Which are the easiest to get started and grow? I have Capsicum Baccatum, Capsicum Annuum, and Capsicum chinense. I have about 4-5 variations of each.

hotenuff4u said:
Heck ya,

some great answers there guys, really appreciate your help!!!

I like the mini greenhouse, definitely going to try that!

When germinating, have you guys had experience with the chamomile tea method, do you think it really speeds things up?

And on the fertilizer, should I go with an even NPK or was I correct on holding back with a slightly lower "N" value?

Young plants get more N, when they start forking let off the N.

You want great/stupid heat and 10/10 for flavour as well then go a naga morich or 7 pot.....or trinidad scorpian.....All 3 will blow your head off if you think the red savina is hot....Or something like the fatalii or devils tounge for a really unique flavour

haha, yeah, I realized I made the mistake of labeling the red savina as "2nd hottest". I love habanero flavor, so I picked this as my first, I'm definitely going to experiment with Naga or Bhut later:hell:but thought I'd build up to that heat...haha

As far as 7pots, I know there just as hot as Naga and Bhut, but I was under the assumption they are really hard to find, so I didn't even look....you know a place I can get a hold of them?

Also has anyone tried the trinidad seasoning peppers? I know not hot but going on the basis that trinidad knows peppers, and it has "seasoning" in the name, I was thinking it might taste really really good.

I LOVE THE FORUM MORE AND MORE EVERYDAY!!!

hotenuff4u said:
haha, yeah, I realized I made the mistake of labeling the red savina as "2nd hottest". I love habanero flavor, so I picked this as my first, I'm definitely going to experiment with Naga or Bhut later:hell:but thought I'd build up to that heat...haha

As far as 7pots, I know there just as hot as Naga and Bhut, but I was under the assumption they are really hard to find, so I didn't even look....you know a place I can get a hold of them?

Also has anyone tried the trinidad seasoning peppers? I know not hot but going on the basis that trinidad knows peppers, and it has "seasoning" in the name, I was thinking it might taste really really good.

I LOVE THE FORUM MORE AND MORE EVERYDAY!!!

hey, If the hab is what you like then it's what you should grow...:). If you haven't already then you should try the chocolate hab...great flavour and hotter than the orange.

I don't know of anywhere in the USA to get pure strain 7 pot or scorpain seeds from, but I got mine from Here. They have other great seeds as well....

The other option is to ask one the great members on this forum. Go to the marketplace section, then Hot pepper/seeds, and create a new thread asking for the type of seeds you may need. You will find that the community here is very helpful.

I haven't tried the trinidad seasoning but I have tried the tabago seasoning with is the same basic principal (different flavours, i know). They are a good plant with NO heat but taste like there hot relation. When I tasted the seasoning for the fist time I thought I was getting a joke played on me by my brother and I was waiting for the heat to hit but it never did...

Back