• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Newbie Stuff - black jalapenos, et al

I picked up 3 pepper plants, which I have growing in pots outside. I live in the Cleveland, OH area, so intend to bring them inside for the winter. The plants are one each: jalapeno, tam jalapeno, and cow horn. The plants started flowering almost immediately after I potted them, and generally appear to be happy with their environment - fruits are coming out on all of them, they continue to produce flowers, and all appear healthy.

I've pulled a few tams after they got stress marks, without waiting for them to turn red. Not sure if they will. The plants are right next to each other, and I can tell you the tams have been as hot as a regular jalapeno - probably due to pollenation from the other plants. But other than that, they seem to be fine. I've read that patience is a virtue when raising peppers, but I've also read that they should be pulled after getting stress marks. Any advice - wait a while longer, or go ahead and continue pulling after stress marks appear?

The regular jalapenos are making me scratch my head a bit, as the fruit is becoming black. Neither the plant nor the fruit are looking unhealthy - the fruit is just changing from green to black, much as one might expect it to change from green to red, except it's not all over (but nor is it just spots like from a bug or infection.) My first thoughts were that it might be because of the sun, but that doesn't really make sense. They are in full sun a bit over half a day, but there is a period when they're shadowed by a corner of the house, so it's not like they're getting too much. Also, I do turn the pots from time to time. Anyone else seen this sort of thing and have any input on it?

The cow horns also look healthy, and are getting much bigger than I realized they would get. A couple in particular have been on the plant for a few weeks, and are showing no signs of turning red. Again, I've heard the line "patience, little one...." but am curious about a ballpark figure of how long it might take, given the area I live in - 5 weeks? 6 weeks? 10 weeks? Just a ballpark. Also, I have one pretty new fruit which promptly formed a lovely circle around the branch it's hanging on. It's still pretty small, but I'm wondering if it might become problematic as the fruit grows. I know I can prop it up, but am also thinking the plant can probably deal with whatever it produces, and don't know that I can prop it without creating issues for the other fruit - it's pretty crowded! Has anyone else had this, left it alone, and experienced no problems? Or would your recommend pulling it?

Finally, when it is time to bring them indoors, any suggestions? Put them in a window vs. get a grow light? Anything else to be on the lookout for or do? Is there another post someone can point me to that already discusses this?

Don't worry about the purple or black marks, its anthocyanin pigment sort of protecting the pods with a sun tan.
Personally I like to wait until jalapenos ripen to red before picking, much more flavor and sweetness
Your tams can not have been cross pollinated, unless it happened in the previous year and produced crossed/hybrid seeds
There's too many factors to predict when pods will ripen, just have patience

What do you mean by stress marks? Corking?

Cross pollination will not affect the heat of your tams. It will affect what you get if you save and plant the seeds however. Are you comparing your tam's heat with regular store bought jalapenos?

What do you mean by stress marks? Corking?

Cross pollination will not affect the heat of your tams. It will affect what you get if you save and plant the seeds however. Are you comparing your tam's heat with regular store bought jalapenos?

Yes, I'm a Newbie here - I think I have heard both terms "stress marks" and "corking" refer to the same thing. The fruit gets thin, light brown patches (typically more like streaks.)

Don't worry about the purple or black marks, its anthocyanin pigment sort of protecting the pods with a sun tan.
Personally I like to wait until jalapenos ripen to red before picking, much more flavor and sweetness
Your tams can not have been cross pollinated, unless it happened in the previous year and produced crossed/hybrid seeds
There's too many factors to predict when pods will ripen, just have patience

Okay - so my tams are hotter than expected, and cross-pollenation isn't a factor, since they're too new. Yes, I've never had a home-grown jalapeno, so I'm comparing to store-bought and restaurant jalapenos. (Note I used to live in Houston, so I'm not comparing to fruits here.) Admittedly, though, I personally prefer them hotter - just got the tams for guests.

Okay - so my tams are hotter than expected, and cross-pollenation isn't a factor, since they're too new. Yes, I've never had a home-grown jalapeno, so I'm comparing to store-bought and restaurant jalapenos. (Note I used to live in Houston, so I'm not comparing to fruits here.) Admittedly, though, I personally prefer them hotter - just got the tams for guests.

You may have corking on the chiles and pictures would help.

Both green and red Xalapas will have corking.

Corking:

mex.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic - the ones I pulled and ate did have corking (what I was calling "stress marks", after an article I read elsewhere.) None of the ones currently on the plant have any corking right now, so I can't take a pic. I am going to repot the cowhorn - both the plant and the fruit are much larger than I thought they would get in this short period.

I need to figure out how to upload a picture to this site - I read about this in the intro section, but do not see the buttons referred to when posting a reply.

Last year, my first growing japs, the jalapenos began turning black before they turned red.

Here is a pic of them for comparison...

hotpeppers005.jpg

Yep - that's what has happened to mine. It was good to read in an earlier post that this was just the equivalent of a suntan. It's kind of funny that it has occurred with the jalapenos, but not the tams or cowhorns.

I found from another thread that I'll need to put my pics on a server then link to them, rather than being able to upload to this site directly. Good thing for us newbies to know. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

So a new momma's gotta brag a bit. Pulled my first screamin-red cowhorn yesterday, and added it to the dinner menu. I have read that cowhorns can range from as mild as bell peppers to ouch! And this was definitely on the OUCH! side of things - pepper bliss!

A couple of the other cowhorns have started to blush, but none of the jalapenos have even given a hint of going that direction. I am amazed that such a small plant can hold so many big fruits, yet keep blooming.

Back